Science Fiction on German Television - in 1938!

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Science Fiction on German Television - in 1938!

Postby DrZarkov » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:25 am

I found this film at Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G-mbmZb ... r_embedded

The film "Weltraumschiff 1 startet" (Spaceship 1 is starting) has been produced in 1937 for the German television. It had been shown in German TV in 1938. So you have the chance to see a really strange piece of German prewar television. (Of course in German, sorry, no subtitles.)
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Thanks!

Postby holtzman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:45 pm

I enjoyed it, very good quality effects and understanding for the 30-ties! Nice lettering art, too. The jet propulsion for space travel was quite independantly developed those days in Russia, Germany and USA.
holtzman
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Klaas Robers » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:47 am

Two remarkable things in this film:

1. Apparently it was thought that the microphone of a television chain should be fixed to the camera. The reporter is standing next to the camera where a microphone is hanging out. I might asume that in film this wasn't already the case.

2. It was thought that a space ship could not have radio contact as long as it has lost the earth atmosphere. Wasn't the truth not known in those days?

But yes it was a nice film, where lots of things were shown as they would go 30 years later. The german language was of course no problem for me.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby DrZarkov » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:21 pm

About 2): I registered it, too. And I can't believe they really thought it is impossible. It was known, that radio waves are just electro-magnetic waves like the light. And it was well known in 1937 that light could cross the space. A simple lamp or a mirror would have been enough to get morse contact with earth. In fact, the first radio telescope was made by the American Karl Guthe Jansky in 1932! But a rocket scientist does not need to know everything about radio ;-)
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Return to Off Topic