VCR Head Cleaning and dirty tapes

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

VCR Head Cleaning and dirty tapes

Postby Colin-JB » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:03 pm

Can anyone recommend a good product available in the UK for cleaning VCR heads? I used to use isopropyl alcohol (a radio rentals engineer showed me that) until the chemists stopped selling it.

Also, some of my VHS tapes have been badly stored at my parents house and have gone mildewy on the edges. Is it safe to play them so I can transfer important (to me) stuff onto DVD?

Colin-JB
Colin-JB
Laboratory Assistant

Cleaning VCR tapes

Postby Alan » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:25 pm

Suggest that maybe you could contact South West Film Archives - used to be in Plymouth. I know that their main topic is restoration and transfer of old cine film to Video Tape, but now they may have progressed to DVD, so would have gained some expertees in restoration of VCR tape, I would have thought

Alan
Alan
Laboratory Assistant

Postby dominicbeesley » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:53 pm

Try a different chemist! Our local chemist sold me a litre a couple of months ago

Dom
dominicbeesley
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Dave Moll » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:40 am

Last time I bought a bottle of spot remover for fabrics, I noticed that the (now-banned) "trike" had been replaced by IPA - under the name Dylon Stain Remover.
Dave Moll

Postby Colin-JB » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:54 pm

Try a different chemist! Our local chemist sold me a litre a couple of months ago

Was your local an independent? We seem only to have Boots around here. I may have to look further out...

Colin-JB
Colin-JB
Laboratory Assistant

Postby dominicbeesley » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:16 pm

Yes they both were independent - after I'd replied guess what - they've just been bought up by.....Boots! :cry:

So I suppose I'll need to look round too...I've got about 1/2 litre left and I need some acetone too.

Dom
dominicbeesley

Return to Off Topic