Nothing at all to do with NBTV...

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Nothing at all to do with NBTV...

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:05 am

Dear All,

As someone who is professionally involved with broadcasting and sound recording, the attached provoked a certain response from me. I wonder what yours is? I'll reveal mine in due course...

Steve A.
Attachments
FryKlean.pdf
(362.03 KiB) Downloaded 468 times
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby dominicbeesley » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:59 am

Ah I feel really stupid now, I've been trying to get a PLL circuit to work properly all week and couldn't understand why...but of course I'd omitted to burn in the cables, my mains plug isn't gold-plated and I'd forgotten to align my PSU to the Red Phoenix...although everything has been cryogenically treated by the current cold snap....

This has all given me a headache...I better take some Arnica...

D
dominicbeesley
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:33 am

dominicbeesley wrote:This has all given me a headache...I better take some Arnica...D

Try replacing your circuit breakers with those that have gold-plated contacts, those with silver/tin are sonically imperfect. Oxygen-free mains cable is available, now it's time to get the power authorities to listen to our cause. I've insisted that the power company replace the local transformer (250kVA) with one that has pure silver windings...and the overhead supply cables be OFC as well....

In the meantime I'm burning-in some loudspeaker cables, each end marked 'Amp' and 'LS' so that I don't get them the wrong way around when I move house...it does make a dramatic difference...

My 300B SET (Single-Ended-Triode) amp still works well, but when the supply voltage drops from 227V to 224V the whole musical performance is ruined.

Even my trusty Revox B77 tape recorder has developed a 0.4db 'suck-out' in its mid-range completely negating the care I took in the recordings I made 30 years ago...I think some capacitors need replacing with true Audiophool components...

Steve A. :lol:

...and I don't often use Emoticons...get my drift?
Steve Anderson

Postby AncientBrit » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:40 pm

You never know this could be of use in NBTV. Get rid of all those nasty square pixels.

I'm amazed that this guy has actually built up the circuit. And sells it!
Theories like this normally stop on the page.

Cheers,

Graham
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby dominicbeesley » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:39 pm

I was recently sent this link on another forum....

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-ter ... roduct_top

Look at items that "Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed" and "Customer Reviews"...

D
dominicbeesley
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby AncientBrit » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:12 am

I'd never buy the refurbished item, it might have lost some of its potent capabilities.

Seriously we are in the wrong business if anyone actually pays money like that,

Graham
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:19 pm

dominicbeesley wrote:I was recently sent this link on another forum....D

When I saw that I yelled out a high-pitched "WHAT!!"....it woke the family up!

I cannot believe that someone would actually pay US$6,800.00 for a pair of speaker cables...and that's after a 20% discount! I am most definitely in the wrong business!

Of course there is the option at US$4,999.00 of the refurbished version. One assumes that all the electrons in the copper have been neatly re-aligned like new. The reviews were most enlightening!

These speaker cables are a perfect match to my Crown 6000 amplifier, datasheet attached. Some employee (probably now ex-employee) had fun with this...it has a US slant to it but it's worth a read.

Steve A.
Attachments
belchfire_datasheet.pdf
(206.8 KiB) Downloaded 458 times
Steve Anderson

Return to Off Topic