telephone interference

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

telephone interference

Postby Lawnboy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:46 am

my parents own a store which is in a building just outside thier house (it used to be a barn). the telephone line from the house is strung up via a cat5 cable through the air. about a mile from the house is a 22Kw 760Khz AM transmitter and whenever the phone is in use in the store, you can hear the radio station through it. is there some kind of filter that i can build or buy to put in between the phone and the line to reduce this noise? i should also mention that the phone is just a cheap basic model. would it be better to buy a higher quality phone? thanks.
Lawnboy
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Lowtone » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:12 am

I don't know but maybe you can burry the line underground.

I had an old wireless headphone with infrared transmition ( not radio like nowadays but infrared light ) and i wanted to test the reciver. I don't remember why but I put it right to the telephone plug... and I heard something coming "from" the line. It was LW radio "France Inter", the transmitter is at 80km from my town. But maybe the sound comes not from the telephone line but the infared receiver, but i remember i put it along the line and have radio :roll: :shock:

One day I had German radio through my guitar amp ! :lol:
It was very weird. This amp has no radio on it, and suddently voices comes out :o
Someone told me he have the same story too.

Some weeks ago, analog TV was shut down, and all the night I was trying to see what appens. So i had my little black and white analog TV, and I wantend to recieve a farest transmitter wich is still active in another region.
And I have some pictures from it, but in the middle of the UHF band I have FM radios !!! :o and the sound was clear.

Well, i guess radio is just everywhere :lol:
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone

Postby Lawnboy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:26 pm

yes radio is everywhere. ive tried finding a clear fm channel to test a simple transmitter, but its so crowded the only band available was that little slice at the end of the tuning range. you know, when you turn the tuning knob on the cheap radio as far as it will go plus a little more? :D

i wonder if burying the cable would help? i had always assumed am waves could penetrate soil easily. although it would be possible to bury the cable by feeding it through an abandoned water pipe that runs between the two buildings.
Lawnboy

Postby holtzman » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:28 am

You may try coaxial cable, the one which goes to RF socket of analog tv. Another thing is to put a capacitor in parallel with your phone and maybe also on the other side of the cable. But the voltage in phone line can be up to 90V when you get a call, so the cap should be 100V or more.
holtzman

Postby Lowtone » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:44 am

http://goctruc.free.fr/Telephonie/Img/CabFer.jpg
Do you think ferrite thing would be useful or not? :?

I remember ten years ago i worked for a little local radio station.
One day i left our building with my walkman, and i heard our station on ALL the FM frequencies all around the building, but it was impossible to get others radios. Some weeks later, i went in the street in front of the public radio, and i get the same effect :o :lol:

Transmitters are powerful :twisted:
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone

Return to Off Topic