A Light and not heavy mirror screw ?

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:43 pm

Since i am looking at mirror type things of late and collected a few things over the past few months .
Just been thinking about it again .
What stopped me going on with this idea at the time was the edge of the paddle pop sticks were not smooth enough for reflective paint...need strips of smooth to the edge plastic .

Been thinking more of Garys suggestion of gluing some thing to the edge thats very reflective.

The Glass mirror cutting would be out of my depth..

i might post some images of what i have collected that might work.

I am not great at cutting things with the tools i have but i can see old circuit boards might have a reuse as the base strips.

I was looking at balsa wood strips at my local hardware store that were smooth to the edge now were are talking very lite here !

I see Jaycar sells mirror like reflective tape that impressed me that would be good on a smooth surface.

I collected some thing similar but it needs pasting ...

Spotlight sell reflective thin plastic mirrors of shapes as far as i know till i do a vist in person to see what else they have ..these cut very easy with a stanley knife and the suface doe not have to be that smooth flat as for paint or tape .

So talking about it for a paste on mirror i think thats the best type .

I might get around to it one these days giving it another go and i still have my eye out for the right type of raser blade for a tiny screw band aids at the ready !
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby M3DVQ » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:47 pm

Whatever you use you want it to be already machined into precise strips. Cutting PCB material with hand tools is a pain in the backside at the best of times and getting it smooth and straight will be no fun at all.

something like Acrylic or HDPE might work well but again you want to find a source of it in long thing strips that you can cut off in lengths - cutting up a sheet is a nightmare without proper power tools I can assure you :x
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:54 pm

M3DVQ wrote:Whatever you use you want it to be already machined into precise strips. Cutting PCB material with hand tools is a pain in the backside at the best of times and getting it smooth and straight will be no fun at all.

something like Acrylic or HDPE might work well but again you want to find a source of it in long thing strips that you can cut off in lengths - cutting up a sheet is a nightmare without proper power tools I can assure you :x

Hi M3dvQ

Yes i agree cutting the strips width is beyond me and have to sand smooth what ever flat Yakes !

Just if you are good at it and have the tools and Patience which i lack :cry:

I have been keeping my eyes out for strips any thing to work with ...the reflective surface can be added its just juggling ideas with the will to do it .
As Gary pointed out Peter Yanczer has done this already with glass mirrors so strips of plastic mirrors should be easier.
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Previous

Return to Off Topic