O-Silly-Scope

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

O-Silly-Scope

Postby gary » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:02 pm

I came across an item on YouTube which I found interesting called OscilloFun.

We NBTV-ers are familiar with using oscilloscopes to display NBTV using the X, Y, and Z (or pwm) channels, but it delights me to see that you can create graphics such as 3D boxes and text with what, to the ear, appears to be passable music.

Someone posted a link to a FLAC version of the music (oscillofun.flac). I have converted it to wav and, for those who don't own an oscilloscope and wish to try it, have written a small virtual 'scope to display it on. I also attach a link to a video showing it running on my PC (BTW it will require a modernish PC running windows >= XP).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zYBRFvO1gQ
Attachments
oscillofun.wav
The "music"
(8.91 MiB) Downloaded 514 times
oscilloscope.zip
(534.33 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
gary

Postby Lowtone » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:49 am

Nice :P

Do you know if a programm allows to "write" on spectrograph ?
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Dave Moll » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:04 am

See also YouScope. I'm sure I have a WAV file of (an earlier version of) this (feeds into X and Y inputs of 'scope) somewhere, but can't lay my hands on it at present.

Playing it from my (now deceased) laptop, I remember that the inversion problem meant that I had my 'scope lying on its back to watch it!
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Lowtone » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:12 am

Lowtone

Postby gary » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:49 am

Lowtone wrote:Nice :P

Do you know if a programm allows to "write" on spectrograph ?

Yes I have written a (slow) version of such a programme and could post it if you like, but there are lots of (better) free versions on the net (e.g. google bitmap&wave etc).

Audacity is a good free way of viewing this type of file.
gary

Postby gary » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:30 pm

Dave Moll wrote:See also YouScope. I'm sure I have a WAV file of (an earlier version of) this (feeds into X and Y inputs of 'scope) somewhere, but can't lay my hands on it at present.

Playing it from my (now deceased) laptop, I remember that the inversion problem meant that I had my 'scope lying on its back to watch it!

Yes I have that (see attached).

I guess the main difference between this and the spectrum files to the oscillofun files is the latter is truly "listenable" in it's own right - someone went to a great deal of trouble to achieve that.

Edit: It seems uploads are disabled or there is a server problem at the moment - I will try to upload later.

Edit: looks like the full item was too big to upload - here is part 1 - let me know if anyone wants part 2
Attachments
youscope-wave-swapped-part1.wav
Part 1 of referenced item
(15.19 MiB) Downloaded 455 times
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:12 pm

Dear All,

There is a 20MB limit on uploads...probably the default value in the forum software. But that can be changed if you wish to upload a larger file...just let Andrew, Dave or I know and we'll give you the green light.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Lowtone » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:41 am

gary wrote:
Yes I have written a (slow) version of such a programme and could post it if you like, but there are lots of (better) free versions on the net (e.g. google bitmap&wave etc).

It would be nice to try :D

gary wrote:Audacity is a good free way of viewing this type of file.

I use Gram 5 to see spectrographs
Lowtone

Postby gary » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:48 pm

Lowtone wrote:It would be nice to try :D

Here it is then - warning don't bother trying it on very large images unless you have a lot of time or processing power available:

Here is an example of a familiar image:

and as displayed in cooledit 2000

(note the generator is optimised for a band resolution of 256)
Attachments
spectrogram.zip
(431.43 KiB) Downloaded 449 times
seq2.wav
(2.38 MiB) Downloaded 457 times
example.jpg
example.jpg (16.21 KiB) Viewed 11164 times
gary

Postby Lowtone » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:12 am

Ah thanks :P
It works but really good with Gram 5, I have to speed up the file in order to display the picture
Attachments
spectrograph.PNG
gram
(394.96 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Lowtone

Postby Alan » Sat May 07, 2011 3:53 am

I have deliberately posted this to "O Silly Scope" because that is what I am begining to believe I have bought.
Yes, it is a (ARM) DSO 201 nano hand-held scope from eBay.
It came without any destructions, and what I have managed to glean from the net is most confusing. (It is not written in a format that in my dotage, am I able to understand).
I have bought a microSD card, formatted it in FAT16 ( a format foreign to LINUX), but cannot get it to save, let alone display, traces, tho' it gives a lovely clear trace from the Triple Waveform Generator.

Anyone got any exoerience with this toy?

Many thanks,

Alan
Alan
Laboratory Assistant

O Sil Oscope

Postby Alan » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:12 pm

DSO201 - Problem solved!
Eventually sent to Seeed Studio forum at www.seeedstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12 (Yes, 3 * 'e' in the name)
There it was suggested that SD card was faulty or not properly in contact. The latter proved the fault - judicious use of a fingernail finally pressed the card home. Then up came functions that were previously missing. A fine little gadget!

Alan.
Alan
Laboratory Assistant

Return to Off Topic