My new Televisor

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Postby kareno » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi Gary,

Have a look here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/psychoville/

Done by the same people who did:

http://www.leagueofgentlemen.co.uk/

They're about the best comedies we've had in the last twenty years (excluding Father Ted of course)

I think this is getting too off topic even for the off topic section so perhaps we'd better finish this thread hijacking now :)
kareno

Postby gary » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:12 pm

Thanks Karen, not quite what I expected, but... interesting.
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:39 pm

Hi nbtv

I can view the little pictures but could not get anything to view the large .

Bit different ! i sort of like the washers around the nipkow holes it all has a bit of retro look to it .

Its fine looking monitor .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:57 pm

harry dalek wrote:Hi nbtv

I can view the little pictures but could not get anything to view the large .

Bit different ! i sort of like the washers around the nipkow holes it all has a bit of retro look to it .

Its fine looking monitor .

Harry, they are just ordinary jpgs, I am surprised you are having trouble viewing them. Even MS Paint opens them up - try that if you haven't already.

What OS are you using?

Maybe the files were corrupted when you downloaded them?

It's probably worth seeing them in full res - if you need it I could easily convert them to something you can open if you'd like.

PS I like the telephone in the background of the first picture.
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:00 pm

gary wrote:Harry, they are just ordinary jpgs, I am surprised you are having trouble viewing them. Even MS Paint opens them up - try that if you haven't already.

What OS are you using?

Maybe the files were corrupted when you downloaded them?

It's probably worth seeing them in full res - if you need it I could easily convert them to something you can open if you'd like.

PS I like the telephone in the background of the first picture.

Hi gary same story downloading both files when i try to view them doesn't work photoscape and others says either corrupted or unreadable..tried a few times to down load them to view .
Using XP Gary well tiny xp really ..
Btw hows the southern highlands going i think your from there if so very close to my old home town .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:24 pm

harry dalek wrote:Hi gary same story downloading both files when i try to view them doesn't work photoscape and others says either corrupted or unreadable..tried a few times to down load them to view .
Using XP Gary well tiny xp really ..
Btw hows the southern highlands going i think your from there if so very close to my old home town .

Hi Harry, have you tried Paint? I have a copy of Tiny XP (shhhh) and it works fine. Can't see why you are having a problem.

Here is a copy converted to bmp, try that.

Bundanoon is going great - the Kangaroos give me the evil eye when they are moving through or grazing on the grass in the vacant lot next door, but otherwise OK.

Actually I had to go to Wollongong the other day (funeral :-() and it took about an hour - that surprised me - but it agreed with Google maps estimate.

Edit: hmmm for some reason (beyond me) bitmaps are (after thinking about it for 10 minutes) disallowed - so I have zipped it.
Attachments
TV Front-1.zip
(9.33 MiB) Downloaded 458 times
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:53 pm

gary wrote:

Hi Harry, have you tried Paint? I have a copy of Tiny XP (shhhh) and it works fine. Can't see why you are having a problem.

Here is a copy converted to bmp, try that.

Bundanoon is going great - the Kangaroos give me the evil eye when they are moving through or grazing on the grass in the vacant lot next door, but otherwise OK.

Actually I had to go to Wollongong the other day (funeral :-() and it took about an hour - that surprised me - but it agreed with Google maps estimate.

Edit: hmmm for some reason (beyond me) bitmaps are (after thinking about it for 10 minutes) disallowed - so I have zipped it.

Hi Gary the the upload didn't take by the looks of it i will look again.

Yes Tiny XP i like it better than Tiny Win 7 as every thing works with Tiny Xp .

I am from a bit below the gong lake illawarra..you should try the Dunmore dump shed next time your down lots of scrap goodies the kiama one was good to as i recall.

To many new houses going up around here poor roo's are road kill no one told them there home was no more better off top of that mountain of yours !
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:04 pm

Hi Harry,

No, downloads ok this end - I think your end is having problems - best try again later I suppose.

It's the wombats that cop it over here....

Yeah must try the Dunmore dump sometime - actually the funeral was at Kembla Grange - probably 10 mins max in it between there and your place. I would certainly still need to come down Macquarie pass and through Albion park...

Edit: Pity you aren't still there - you could come over for a BBQ...
gary

Thanks for the reply

Postby nbtv » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:53 am

The rings make it more of an deko type art-piece for the time it is not in use. It is the only concession to non-functional design-appearance. All the rest is pure practicality.

People have no idea what it is. The best guess to date was a siren!

The metal rings are actually more dull than they appear on the photo, being covered in mat-varnish. They do indeed give a blur in full daylight, but a dimly lit room where this is viewed in practice they disappear and produce no reduction in quality what-so-ever. In fact the added weight gives momentum which increases stability, being laminated card and leather.

The disk is wide - with a large edge to the side of the image for masking. A three-sided black box between the diffusion-plate and the disk to confines the line length. The right-side of the case is covered in black suede-leather to mop up the last stray rays of light from the sync-disk. So double images and spoiled contrast is not a problem.

The loose lens is great. You can see the tiny picture as it is and then set the distance you like if you use the lens. The image is quite huge once you have lined everything up and sit at a distance.

The next experiment will be with a prism to make the viewing angle more flexible. I want to be able to look down at it.

Klaas Robers wrote:I don't understand the metal rings around the holes. They reflect the stray light and incident lightfrom the room, and thus blur the picture that you see. I also guess that you see direct light from the LED cluster around the edge of the disc. If you had made a viewing funnel between the lens and the disc, it would have been more practical.
nbtv
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:07 pm

gary wrote:Hi Harry,

No, downloads ok this end - I think your end is having problems - best try again later I suppose.

It's the wombats that cop it over here....

Yeah must try the Dunmore dump sometime - actually the funeral was at Kembla Grange - probably 10 mins max in it between there and your place. I would certainly still need to come down Macquarie pass and through Albion park...

Edit: Pity you aren't still there - you could come over for a BBQ...

Hi Gary
Thanks i found the problem sort of must be windows stuffed up on the lap top i was using ,i swapped laptops and it all works again ...just looking at your upload ...wonder what nbtv used for the round case mmm
Theres sort of a few ways to go with these projects one try and make them look old other to forget that and just make a modern day look other not really my favorite and thats converting an old radio case or what ever and lastly the i can not make one so just just sick it in a box ... I always find the casing part the hardest ,its easier to start with a case and adjust the project to it .I think i will try and make a case for mine once its finished .
I always wanted to do it but never have so far and that was vanish small vintage television magazine print outs all over the wooden case .

Macquarie pass been up and down there many a time and in the fog which is a nail biter !

Yes never knew any one else in the illawarra area liked vintage television at the time been in melbourne 11 years now yes could shared a snag if i had known .
Harry Dalek

Previous

Return to Off Topic