Scratch building a Sputnik 0667

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Postby M3DVQ » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:56 am

gary wrote:but they don't work very well on the wirewrap - they tend to only strip along the edges you are in contact with and you are left with little "curlies" where there is no contact.

Yep, I found exactly the same thing. That's why I've abandoned that and switched to enamelled wire :)

it's so much neater :D
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby gary » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:03 am

M3DVQ wrote:Yep, I found exactly the same thing. That's why I've abandoned that and switched to enamelled wire :)

it's so much neater :D

Yep, as I said, I use it because I have heaps of it, and I doubt I'll ever do any wirewrapping again (although you never know). By using the stripper shown previous the strip is neat and tidy and the wirewrap wire is, of course, very neat due to it's thinness.

Enamelled wire, or magnet wire, is very expensive (and getting hard to obtain) here for some reason, so I don't like to use my stock for things other than coils.
gary

Postby M3DVQ » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:09 am

gary wrote:Enamelled wire, or magnet wire, is very expensive (and getting hard to obtain) here for some reason, so I don't like to use my stock for things other than coils.

Could be your nannying government protecting you from the hazardous chemicals.
M3DVQ

Postby M3DVQ » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:14 am

gary wrote:Yep, as I said, I use it because I have heaps of it

I bought 200 metres of bell wire a while back but that's good for a few things most notably breadboarding.
M3DVQ

Postby gary » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:53 am

M3DVQ wrote:
gary wrote:Yep, as I said, I use it because I have heaps of it

I bought 200 metres of bell wire a while back but that's good for a few things most notably breadboarding.

Definitely, bell wire is great for many things - that should last you a long long time unless you start build antennas or something with it (or a remote door bell - LOL)
gary

Postby gary » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:04 pm

M3DVQ wrote:Could be your nannying government protecting you from the hazardous chemicals.

You have probably hit the nail on the head, although the other reason could be that, having heavily deregulated the retail sector, it is another example of "price gouging". I find that heavy items, i.e. expensive to ship in small quantities, tend to be heavily overpriced (200-1000%) here because there are no real alternatives for the consumer.
gary

Postby Klaas Robers » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:16 am

The strippers are difficult if you want to use short and very short wires. So I use this way to strip Teflon wire wrap wire exactly at length. Then the stripped part goes into the experimentersboard hole and soldered.

It is a nice and crackling sound when the Teflon sleeve splits in two.

Then the result may look like the second picture.
Attachments
Teflonwire.JPG
Stripping Teflon wire
Teflonwire.JPG (41.45 KiB) Viewed 11250 times
Teflon2.JPG
Backside of the driverboard of my Nixie-clock
(75.79 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby gary » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:02 pm

I have just come across a single instance of my wire wrap wire and it seems it isn't teflon after all. It is tougher than normal insulation but it can be melted by flame quite easily.

Klaas, when I use side cutters to strip this wire I end up with a similar pair of "dags" as you show in your first picture except the tend to curl outwards because they have been stretched.

My wire is thinner than yours also I think.

But your wiring is very neat!
gary

Postby Klaas Robers » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:36 am

Wow! I have a small micrometer and have almost no tasks for it. So it took me some minutes to find it back.

The orange wirewrap wire in the photograph above has an outside diameter of 0,55 mm. The copper core has a diameter of about 0,2 mm, however difficult to measure, because after squeezing it in order to split the insulation off, the wire became somewhat oval. So the measurement varies on how I place the wire in between the measuring screw.

Is your wire even thinner? I wonder. And can you melt it by the tip of the soldering iron?

Klaas
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby gary » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:30 am

Nope, it is the exact same size (within a small error), strange, in your images it seems to be thicker. But, yes it melts easily with the tip of a soldering iron.
gary

Postby Klaas Robers » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:41 am

Gary, try to find the PTFE (Teflon) insulated wire wrap wire. It is very comfortable that you would't damage it while soldering, even at a very crowded place.

Eventually I could send you some in an envelope. Then you should find some spool to store it on. Because it is so thin it is also very light. Send me your postal address in a private mail and I will see what I can do for you.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby gary » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:50 am

Hi Klaas, I thought you meant a PM via this forum but I see that it is still in my "Outbox" which, I think, means you haven't read it. Can you confirm that you have received it please? just in case there is some error. Cheers,

Gary
gary

Postby Klaas Robers » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:37 pm

Yes Gary, I received it, but the message went into my spam-box. I read that about once in 2 weeks.....

I will send you some.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby gary » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks Klaas, I know what you mean about things going to spam. I used to just hit the "delete all" button, but once just after I did it I noticed there was an NBTV related item - whoops too late! - I never did find out where that came from and what it was about - so somebody probably thinks I am an ignorant blighter... These days I am a bit more careful because sooner or later it's going to be an important email... Oh the joy of internet communication ;-)
gary

Previous

Return to Off Topic