Scratch building a Sputnik 0667

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Scratch building a Sputnik 0667

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:47 pm

I found this interesting and rather like it .
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=211675
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby DrZarkov » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:56 am

This reminds me very much at my own computer: http://www.retrocom.de/cgi-bin/weblog_basic/index.php?page_id=107 :lol:

BTW: My PC is broken since a couple of weeks, so I'm actually using it currently!
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:25 pm

DrZarkov wrote:This reminds me very much at my own computer: http://www.retrocom.de/cgi-bin/weblog_basic/index.php?page_id=107 :lol:

BTW: My PC is broken since a couple of weeks, so I'm actually using it currently!

I like the Retro look to it looks like a little valve tv very good work ! have you made cases for you nbtvs ?.....desk top computers remind me of having a mini refrigerator with tons of wires coming out of it must be one of the most ugly things ever invented !

Least laptops do away with most of the wires .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:58 pm

harry dalek wrote:Least laptops do away with most of the wires .

Yeah but when something breaks they are pretty much unrepairable, and, most importantly, their parts are less salvageable for NBTV stuff!
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:53 pm

gary wrote:
harry dalek wrote:Least laptops do away with most of the wires .

Yeah but when something breaks they are pretty much unrepairable, and, most importantly, their parts are less salvageable for NBTV stuff!

Oh yes and i have done that a few times laptops are very hard the little hard drives are still good to scrap .

Because things are getting so small there will come a time when we run out of mechanical parts vcrs are gone computer will go all solid state in time ...i can see that to do our hobby in years to come they will have to remake all the parts as in the 20's and 30's ...i wonder if the electronics will be a problem too they may stop making parts apart from things like an now a ic phone or ic tv with little or nothing to scrap ? a sad day for us scrap yard hunters .
Harry Dalek

Postby DrZarkov » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:58 pm

Of course I always make a casing for my mechanical TVs, here are some examples:
Attachments
zarkovisor.jpg
zarkovisor.jpg (39.88 KiB) Viewed 12744 times
simpelfertig.jpg
simpelfertig.jpg (26.58 KiB) Viewed 12744 times
DrZarkov

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:36 am

DrZarkov wrote:Of course I always make a casing for my mechanical TVs, here are some examples:

Very good Doctor Z something about wood and electronics thats much nicer than Plastic !

Your much better at wood work than me ,i hadn't seen these before thanks for posting .
Harry Dalek

Postby DrZarkov » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:36 am

Thank you, but you are better in electronics! :oops:
DrZarkov

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:17 pm

DrZarkov wrote:Thank you, but you are better in electronics! :oops:

I will swap you for some wooding skills for electronic ...a hint in doing circuit boards i worked out a while back use as little plastic coated wires as possible
try to cooper wire under the circuit board ,it a maze but neat....rat nest wiring is a no no in my zen zone .
Harry Dalek

Postby M3DVQ » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:24 pm

I used to use normal plastic sleeved bell wire for all my point to point wiring on boards until very recently.

I've now discovered the JOY of using solderable enamelled wire. It's so neat! (you do need reasonable ventilation though as the fumes from burning the coating off aren't pleasant)
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby gary » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:39 pm

I use "wire wrap" wire - but then I have a heap of it from a previous life...
gary

Postby Klaas Robers » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:59 am

Gary, how do you strip the isolation from the wirewrap wire? The teflon tends to be difficult to remove from the thin wire. Although teflon is nice because it doesn't melt on the soldering iron tip.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby gary » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:19 am

Klaas Robers wrote:Gary, how do you strip the isolation from the wirewrap wire? The teflon tends to be difficult to remove from the thin wire. Although teflon is nice because it doesn't melt on the soldering iron tip.

Klaas, I now use one like the attached image, it does a very good job, but to be honest I have used just about every kind of stripper there is and they have all worked at least to some degree. To be honest though, I wish I had discovered this kind of stripper years ago, it is very versatile.
Attachments
images_items_200-091(small).jpg
images_items_200-091(small).jpg (31.93 KiB) Viewed 12705 times
gary

Postby M3DVQ » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:23 am

I prefer the claw kind as they cut the insulation all the way around, though I generally just use my side cutters as I'm too lazy to keep changing tool :oops:

M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby gary » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:29 am

M3DVQ wrote:I prefer the claw kind as they cut the insulation all the way around, though I generally just use my side cutters as I'm too lazy to keep changing tool :oops:

Yep, that used to be my stripper of choice but I tire of having to adjust them all the time. These need to be adjusted too but have a much wider range for any particular setting. (actually there are different kinds of "claw" strippers I assume you mean the non-flat type which are much harder to adjust again).

And yes I have used side cutters often when I can't find a stripper to hand, but they don't work very well on the wirewrap - they tend to only strip along the edges you are in contact with and you are left with little "curlies" where there is no contact.
gary

Next

Return to Off Topic