SEEING SOUND With A Home-Made Oscillograph (Nov, 1936)

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

SEEING SOUND With A Home-Made Oscillograph (Nov, 1936)

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:49 pm

I like the design i am wondering about the focus but and the amount of light to project the waveform but sounds like it worked .
The design is not far off converting to NBTV idea perhaps
Attachments
xlg_home_made_oscillograph_0_result.jpg
xlg_home_made_oscillograph_0_result.jpg (155.77 KiB) Viewed 14602 times
xlg_home_made_oscillograph_1_result.jpg
xlg_home_made_oscillograph_1_result.jpg (173.26 KiB) Viewed 14602 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Lowtone » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:51 am

ah !!! :o fabulous ! it makes me want to build one :!:
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:37 pm

Lowtone wrote:ah !!! :o fabulous ! it makes me want to build one :!:

Hi yes ! i see the same thing when i look at the thing...might be done easier with a luxeon or laser but one thing on a luxeon i found out when doing the staggered mirror drum there was no need for a lens because the luxeons light via a tiny surface anyway ,this was viewing off the mirrors never tried to project it so i'm not sure about that ...a laser would for sure work .

Theres a bit on the web about pre crt oscilloscopes mechanical ones ...perhaps we should just make those and use them on our projects :wink:
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Lowtone » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:30 am

Ah yes. I'm really into sound, mixing my music by myself. I like oscillographs and other interesting curves to show frequencies. I thing i would build this just for the fun of it. But i don't have laser. Maybe a motor under the mirror drum would be better.
I see there is a thread attached to the speaker. It reminds me another thing that works like this. This is a speacial speaker for the electronic instrument les ondes Martenot.
It is called palme.
The wires transmitted electrically the sound to a motor, who is setteled inside at the bottom. All the strings are connected on the motor. The vibration of the main sound, the main frequencie is transmitted to the strings. They are all tuned in a way that it creates new sounds. Almosts like those instruments
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viola_d%27amore who had a second set of strings that vibrates according to the main note.
Lowtone

Postby DrZarkov » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:22 am

This Oscillosgraph should be even NBTV capable, you just have to generate from the NBTV signal a wave pattern for the vertical distraction, those circuits are available for "normal" 'scopes. This will be an interesting project for me for the next couple of weeks. :)
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Lowtone » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:26 am

Héhé ah interesting !
I was also thinking of using the NBTV itself for this prupose. Adding synch pulses over music, but i could not be very great.
Lowtone

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:52 pm

Lowtone wrote:Ah yes. I'm really into sound, mixing my music by myself. I like oscillographs and other interesting curves to show frequencies. I thing i would build this just for the fun of it. But i don't have laser. Maybe a motor under the mirror drum would be better.
I see there is a thread attached to the speaker. It reminds me another thing that works like this. This is a speacial speaker for the electronic instrument les ondes Martenot.
It is called palme.
The wires transmitted electrically the sound to a motor, who is setteled inside at the bottom. All the strings are connected on the motor. The vibration of the main sound, the main frequencie is transmitted to the strings. They are all tuned in a way that it creates new sounds. Almosts like those instruments
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viola_d%27amore who had a second set of strings that vibrates according to the main note.

I think instead of projecting view right off the rotating mirror would be easier ,i know using a luxeon would work you need brightness control and good thing no need for a lens at all ..

Thats one different instrument i tried the site but i am getting a wrong site message.
Harry Dalek

Postby DrZarkov » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:37 am

It would be a noisy televisor. I thought about one of those MP3 speakers without a membrane. You have to put those speakers on a hard surface, which then works as a membrane. I would now do exactly the opposite: I will fit the player into a soft sound damping environment, and connect the silk at the magnet. This will avoid disturbing noise and will give me quite a good workinge range of the oscillographe. I already have a four sided mirror an a bearing for it. The mirror has to spin quite slow (compared to a Nipkow-disc), I will see how to do that.
DrZarkov

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:38 am

DrZarkov wrote:It would be a noisy televisor. I thought about one of those MP3 speakers without a membrane. You have to put those speakers on a hard surface, which then works as a membrane. I would now do exactly the opposite: I will fit the player into a soft sound damping environment, and connect the silk at the magnet. This will avoid disturbing noise and will give me quite a good workinge range of the oscillographe. I already have a four sided mirror an a bearing for it. The mirror has to spin quite slow (compared to a Nipkow-disc), I will see how to do that.

Hi doctor Z

Well a stepper motor would work great for this the adjustment needed for the 4 sided mirror easy !

I think you need a mirror with very little mass ,i know mica (heat snik) works for a laser again nver tied it with a luxeon yet but a tiny plastic one might do to..

Trouble trying to do NBTV i am not sure the movement of the tiny mirror would give enough hight for the 400hz ,i gave up trying with a hard drive voice coil.... you could swap the tiny mirror for the 12.5 hz and a laser printer poygon mirror ...the speeds they run at might just work for the 400hz or at least a 16 sided mirror with a dc motor 12.5 hz worked well with a voice coil tests i did ,less so with a loud speaker as this idea.

Just trying this as a scope as is would be a lot easier .
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:50 am

harry dalek wrote:
DrZarkov wrote:It would be a noisy televisor. I thought about one of those MP3 speakers without a membrane. You have to put those speakers on a hard surface, which then works as a membrane. I would now do exactly the opposite: I will fit the player into a soft sound damping environment, and connect the silk at the magnet. This will avoid disturbing noise and will give me quite a good workinge range of the oscillographe. I already have a four sided mirror an a bearing for it. The mirror has to spin quite slow (compared to a Nipkow-disc), I will see how to do that.

Hi doctor Z

Well a stepper motor would work great for this the adjustment needed for the 4 sided mirror easy !

I think you need a mirror with very little mass ,i know mica (heat snik) works for a laser again nver tied it with a luxeon yet but a tiny plastic one might do to..

Trouble trying to do NBTV i am not sure the movement of the tiny mirror would give enough hight for the 400hz ,i gave up trying with a hard drive voice coil.... you could swap the tiny mirror for the 12.5 hz and a laser printer poygon mirror ...the speeds they run at might just work for the 400hz or at least a 16 sided mirror with a dc motor 12.5 hz worked well with a voice coil tests i did ,less so with a loud speaker as this idea.

Looking into the rpm speed of 6 sided polygons it could do it but need to use the polygons driver circuit not many motors go at that speed around or a bit less 4000rpm.

Just trying this as a scope as is would be a lot easier .
Harry Dalek

Postby DrZarkov » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:19 am

On Saturday my cousin was here and took some pictures while I was busy with the mechanical 'scope. (That's why the small mirror at the spring is not properly fixed) It is now working, you'll be able to see it next saturday in Loughborough. A short video will follow tomorrow, when I've bought some new batteries. Here are some of the pictures:
Attachments
mechoszi1.jpg
Closed cabinet.
mechoszi1.jpg (118 KiB) Viewed 14528 times
dicker-spiegel.jpg
The four-sided mirror.
dicker-spiegel.jpg (54.44 KiB) Viewed 14528 times
lautsprecherding.jpg
The oszillating mirror.
lautsprecherding.jpg (49.63 KiB) Viewed 14528 times
den Punkt finden.jpg
Finding the right point for the laser:
den Punkt finden.jpg (64.72 KiB) Viewed 14528 times
DrZarkov

Postby Klaas Robers » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:38 am

Ik ben benieuwd Volker,

ik kom ook naar Loughborough.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby DrZarkov » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:25 am

Leuk, Klaas. :-) De laatste keer was een tijdje geleden...

For the rest: I've just done some "real world" tests, with soundchecks (sinus from 15 Hz up to 15 kHz, sawtooth, square, triangle). With high frequencies I thought it is not working, but by chance I saw a reflection from the oszillating mirror on my ceiling, it formed a kind of a "8. You can indeed see the differences between sinus and triangle, if you choose a medium frequency like 440 Hz. I have to cut the videos I've made today, I hope I will find some time tomorrow. I have to work, and an Thursday morning we will start our journey to the UK.
DrZarkov

Postby DrZarkov » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:42 am

I've made a small video to see how it works:
http://youtu.be/1WV4FuCiRi8
DrZarkov

Postby Lowtone » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:11 am

very impressive.
What about replacing the speaker by a light like in ours tvs ?
Lowtone

Next

Return to Off Topic