Is it possible to make a vacuum tube from the out side ?

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Is it possible to make a vacuum tube from the out side ?

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:44 pm

I don't recall where i saw this but i know it was many a year ago and it dealt with converting a small light glob into a triode ...from the out side of the bulb ,wrapping a wire around the bulb for the control grid must of been some sort of insulation material around that then tin foil for the anode ,forgotten how the cathode side of it was done .

I suppose you can in that its done with magnetism for CRT deflection with yokes from the outside .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:38 pm

There was an article by, I think, Jeremy Jago, in a recent newsletter on something very similar to that.
gary

Postby Klaas Robers » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:35 am

Wasn't that posted on March 31th?
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby gary » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:08 am

Klaas, do you mean this year? if so I haven't received it yet, and the NBTV web site doesn't indicate it has been sent (although it would appear to be due).

The item I was referring to was entitled "Take one glass bulb" in Vol 34-4 and, in fact, was referring to making a photocell.
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:54 pm

gary wrote:There was an article by, I think, Jeremy Jago, in a recent newsletter on something very similar to that.

I must of missed that ,i think what i recall was in an old magazine the idea is interesting !
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Klaas Robers » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:11 am

Oh, sorry Gary. If it was an article of March 31th, you should read it at April 1st. I doubt always articles and messages on that day, but may be that is not a habbit everywhere in the world.

April 1st is a dangerous day. Then you find more of that type of contraptions that are too interesting to be true.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby gary » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:30 am

Klaas Robers wrote:Oh, sorry Gary. If it was an article of March 31th, you should read it at April 1st. I doubt always articles and messages on that day, but may be that is not a habbit everywhere in the world.

April 1st is a dangerous day. Then you find more of that type of contraptions that are too interesting to be true.

Oh I see! - Klaas you rascal you... :wink: :D

Yes April 1st (April fool's day) is celebrated appropriately here - but you must get your pranks in before 12 noon - after that it's leggy leggy lie down - that is, it is permissible you grab someone by the leg and throw them down on the ground - they don't seem to practice that one, in this litigious era, so much anymore....

As the article I refer to was in the June edition I think it has some chance of being kosher... ;-)
gary

Return to Off Topic