Frame sequential colour video experiment

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Frame sequential colour video experiment

Postby aussie_bloke » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:16 am

G'day all.

While being in the swing of doing NBTV related projects I thought I'd have a crack at doing a mechanical colour video project loosely along the lines of the 1940s CBS field sequential colour TV system which involves the RGB colour filter wheel.

In my case seeing the computer screen is the monitor, my experiment is frame sequential colour and the colour wheel I am using is a 3 segment RGB colour wheel. For the wheel I used a clear DVD protective disc from bottom of a DVD spindle case and printed on a transparency the 3 segment RGB filter which I stuck over the disc, then mounted it on a DC motor and mounted the motor onto a wooden support and used my trusty motor speed control circuit from my first mechanical televisor to control the motor speed.

I then splitted a rich coloured lorikeet picture to its RGB channels and made a 60fps video of the RGB channel images playing one after the other repetitively for over 30 seconds. I then placed the colour wheel in front of the video playing the B&W RGB channel images one after the other at 60fps and turned on the motor and adjusted the speed of the motor as close as possible to correct sync speed so each primare colour filter on the wheel corresponds correctly to the RGB channel images playing one after the other in the video and after getting those factors down pat, I successfully got a flickery colour picture of the lorikeet!!!:D Mind you due to the motor speed being slightly off and possible speed fluctuations the colour hue stays correct for only for a brief moment before shifting out of phase.

Anyhow I have made a video on this project which can be viewed here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9a8gJTN1NE
At the start of the video it is unfortunately glitchy due to my mobile phone camera going digitally spazzo but the rest of the video is good.

I also filmed the colour wheel experiment using my Sony HVC-3000P trinicon tube colour camera as due to persistence of vidicon related camera tubes the flicker is almost non-existent. A sample of the camera recording is included in the YouTube video as well.

And below are the pictures of my colour wheel setup and in operation in front of the computer screen:
Attachments
color1.jpg
color1.jpg (529.21 KiB) Viewed 4314 times
color2.jpg
color2.jpg (506.79 KiB) Viewed 4314 times
color3.jpg
color3.jpg (465.04 KiB) Viewed 4314 times
color4.jpg
color4.jpg (514.04 KiB) Viewed 4314 times
color5.jpg
color5.jpg (526.11 KiB) Viewed 4314 times
color6.jpg
color6.jpg (249.24 KiB) Viewed 4314 times
aussie_bloke
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Panrock » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:16 am

A nice experiment aussie_bloke ! Well done.

Some years ago I too experimented with colour wheels. This was a rig to provide 3D colour using one Nipkow disc and two field sequential colour wheels. The camera and monitor were basically similar. It never got very far...

Steve O

Image[/img]
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby aussie_bloke » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:28 am

Thanks, I like your 3D Nipkow disc colour televisor, hope you'll get back into working on it and getting to work how you like it, it looks really cool!:D
aussie_bloke
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Return to Off Topic