Home made mechanical sound recorder

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Home made mechanical sound recorder

Postby holtzman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 am

Hello dear friends,
I did not participated much in the forum for quite a while... Both because being short with free time, and also because I got addicted to mechanical sound recording.
You are welcome to see the clip on Youtube showing my crazy recording machine in action 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcCsAzHoSpQ&feature=plcp
holtzman
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Lowtone » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:19 pm

I made it one two years ago, but much more simplier, like this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hikfqsNA ... re=related

The trick is to never forget the disc will be played with RIAA curve, so you have to apply an antiRIAA curve before cutting the disc.

I've read that it is possible to make it in stereo.

Looking at your video, i was thinking that it would be interesting to try on Lazerdiscs, they are 30cm wide like LPs.
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Hi i my net is very slow again so i have to wait to see your latest project till my net speeds up again ..did some googles on this stuff which i find very interesting .
I don't know how possible a frequency sweep test test is on your machine but it would be interesting to see what band width a full mechanical home made machine can record ...
If you have any construction photos that would be interesting to see .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby aussie_bloke » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:46 pm

Excellent work both of you, I watched both videos just a few days ago before seeing this post, am very impressed and amazed with the clarity of the sound quality on playback, sounds as good as a professional record recording done in a professional sound studio! :D

Your CD record recorder actually reminds me now of a scene in "Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery" when he tries to play a CD on his little 45 turntable haha, well thanks to your CD record record, he now can! :wink:
aussie_bloke

Postby Metallica Man X » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:54 am

Pretty rad stuff. I'd love to build a vinyl cutter some day...press my own crappy record for amusement :lol:

What did you guys use for the cutting needle?
I mostly lurk..don't be surprised when I actually post!
Metallica Man X
Master Craftsman

Postby gary » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:58 am

Metallica Man X wrote:press my own crappy record for amusement :lol:

You say "press" where you may have meant "cut", but I can remember a time when you could have a record "pressed" and at a reasonable price - I wonder if those places still exist? I had a thought a long time ago that if every one chipped in for a "master" 12" nipkow disk (reverse of course) to be made a place like that could churn out very accurate, cheap "pressed" Nipkow disks for all :-) - and it could have some NBTV material recorded on it as well. But now I am way off topic...
gary

Postby Viewmaster » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:54 pm

gary wrote:
Metallica Man X wrote:press my own crappy record for amusement :lol:

I had a thought a long time ago that if every one chipped in for a "master" 12" nipkow disk (reverse of course) to be made a place like that could churn out very accurate, cheap "pressed" Nipkow disks for all :-) - and it could have some NBTV material recorded on it as well. But now I am way off topic...

Next thing would be an autochanger. :shock:
Attachments
auto.jpg
auto changer
auto.jpg (13.28 KiB) Viewed 7517 times
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Return to Off Topic