Spot the Error.

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Postby AncientBrit » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:41 pm

Steve,

I work in a similiar way.
Sketch a cicuit, build it.
Produce an Autocad drawing, then amend the drawing as I modify the circuit.

It saves having to transcribe the whole circuit at the end when my interest tends to be on the wane.

I also like my circuits not to be too touchy on component values.
If something just works I'll explore another avenue.
That way there's a good chance that anyone else should be able to reproduce it.

Cheers,

Graham
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:41 pm

AncientBrit wrote:I also like my circuits not to be too touchy on component values. If something just works I'll explore another avenue. That way there's a good chance that anyone else should be able to reproduce it. Graham

Agreed. For example, I always use 1% metal-film resistors...'cos for some reason they're cheaper here than 5% Carbon-film...no idea why!! But unless the tolerance is critical 5% is what I assume will be used.

If something turns out to be marginal in performance or stability then that's not a good design and probably not a reliably reproducible circuit. It is a somewhat iterative process becoming asymptotic to the desired goal. (Where in the hell did I dig those words up from? Gotta get 'synergy' in here somewhere...don't you just love management bollockspeak. Bollockspeak tends to be buzzword-laden and largely content-free, like gobbledygook: "Rupert, we'll have to leverage our synergies to facilitate a paradigm shift by Q4" is an example of management bollockspeak.) Thank you Wiki...

Anyway, when it comes to designing anything you try to allow for not only component tolerances but also the fact that the person who may build it won't lay it out in the same manner as you. This can be the difference between success and failure....and a tarnished reputation.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Previous

Return to Off Topic