Failure, success, and a request...

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Failure, success, and a request...

Postby gary » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:39 pm

After much research and a lot of experimenting I have given up on trying to implement a directional antenna (aerial) that would significantly reduce the annoying fading and interference that occurs over night on the medium wave AM radio station band.

Instead, on *finally* receiving my Raspberry Pi just after Christmas I have implemented an "internet radio" solution to the problem which works very well indeed.

To house the electronics I would like to build a nice 20/30s style radio cabinet and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, pictures, *plans* (unlikely I know) as to which one to build?

All and any suggestions welcome.
gary

Postby DrZarkov » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:59 pm

Two ideas by me: The first one was an old loudspeaker-case I've bought on a fleamarket for 10 EUR. There was no loudspeaker in and the backside was missing, so haven't destroyed any antiques. Now it containes an amplifier and a big loudspeaker, perfect in addition to NBTV.

The second case is made by me, it contains a selfmade FM transistorradio.
Attachments
verstaerker.jpg
verstaerker.jpg (42.18 KiB) Viewed 11527 times
radio.jpg
radio.jpg (44.58 KiB) Viewed 11527 times
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby gary » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Thank you good Doctor - very nice.
gary

Postby Viewmaster » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:46 pm

For construction ideas visit web wireless museums. Here is one in London for example.
http://www.bvwtm.org.uk/tour/photos3.htm

Try Australian ebay for local buys.

As Volker said, try flea markets.......do they have flea markets in Australia?
Maybe they call 'em Kangaroo markets? :)
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby gary » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:08 pm

Ha! Thanks Albert but if I DID find something like that I can assure you it would be something like $200 - I like my pi - but not that much.

When I was 16 there were tons of these sorts of things in second hand shops etc going for nothing - somewhere between that and me growing up they became fashionable antiques (like me! ;-)) and that was the end of it. (why oh why did I throw my collection of valves and comics away).

Australian ebay is hopeless - people here think it is more or less for fashion accessories - come to think of it they think every thing is for fashion accessories...

But that's a nice site - if only they would show a bit more detail...
gary

Postby DrZarkov » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:25 am

BTW: This is the AM radio I've made today:
Attachments
detektor.jpg
detektor.jpg (54.81 KiB) Viewed 11508 times
DrZarkov

Postby gary » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:55 am

Very nice indeed, DrZarkov. Is that a "cats whisker" crystal radio?
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:02 pm

Albert, thanks for that link to the British Vintage Wireless and Television Museum. I'm sure I've been to that site before, but it was a long time ago. I will definitely visit the museum when I'm next in the UK. It's not that far from where I stay so I would have no excuse.

I can see that on my next visit I'm going to have to prepare a 'UK to-do list' in advance and make sure they all get done this time!

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby DrZarkov » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:12 pm

gary wrote:Very nice indeed, DrZarkov. Is that a "cats whisker" crystal radio?

Yes, it is. And I also tried to find a good solution for the antenna. Earth connected to the watertap and 1 meter of wire as antenna is enough for the local AM station (WDR 2 on 720 kcs, about 30 km from here), in the evening about a dozend stations. But only in my sleeping-room, which is farer away from the street and the neighbour houses. I've tried a passive loop, without any success. (On a valve radio it is at least as good as the ferrit). I've modificated it with a turnable cap and an extra loop for connecting with the radio, it works guite good with a "normal" radio and can reduce the noise from the central heating, but it does not work with the detector radio.

This photo is from an early building stage, as you can see, I wasn't ready with winding the coil then:
Attachments
antenne.jpg
antenne.jpg (62.06 KiB) Viewed 11493 times
DrZarkov

Postby Dave Moll » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:29 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Albert, thanks for that link to the British Vintage Wireless and Television Museum... I will definitely visit the museum when I'm next in the UK. It's not that far from where I stay so I would have no excuse.

The museum is well worth a visit, as is Gerry himself - especially if you are already in that part of London, but don't forget to let him know beforehand as it is also Gerry's private home.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:41 pm

Dave Moll wrote:...but don't forget to let him know beforehand as it is also Gerry's private home.

Yes, indeed I would. I would try to tie it in with another visitor or two such that Gerry doesn't have to conduct multiple tours instead of just one for say 2/3/4 visitors. Plus you never know who you may meet there...I would definitely mention NBTV, in passing of course...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Viewmaster » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:38 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:[Yes, indeed I would. I would try to tie it in with another visitor or two such that Gerry doesn't have to conduct multiple tours instead of just one for say 2/3/4 visitors. Plus you never know who you may meet there...I would definitely mention NBTV, in passing of course...

Steve A.

Unless the NBTV is transistorless and is full of valves he will be passing, not you, Steve....
....give him my regards as I haven't spoken to him for over 30 years !
I would like to know what happened to Charles who use to do his cabinet work.
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Return to Off Topic