Magnetic amplifier

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Postby gary » Wed May 08, 2013 11:06 pm

Well Harry there really isn't such a thing as a DC motor - all motors run that run off DC use a commutator to turn the DC into AC - most steppers are regarded as DC unless they are specifically designed to run off sinusoidal AC - i.e. they are synchronous motors.

IF the motor turns off DC then it has a commutator (and brushes).

It should be pretty easy to see if it has brushes or not.

EDIT: I should add that DC steppers are considered DC because the don't require negative going pulses.
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed May 08, 2013 11:29 pm

gary wrote:Well Harry there really isn't such a thing as a DC motor - all motors run that run off DC use a commutator to turn the DC into AC - most steppers are regarded as DC unless they are specifically designed to run off sinusoidal AC - i.e. they are synchronous motors.

IF the motor turns off DC then it has a commutator (and brushes).

It should be pretty easy to see if it has brushes or not.

EDIT: I should add that DC steppers are considered DC because the don't require negative going pulses.

Well this is new to me so it should work the same way via the other 2 wires ? if i connect them to Dc ? and Ac should appear via the other wires ?
Visa versa

I just tested it ...Ac only out of the copal green yellow wires and dc only out of the red black ....it only runs off dc with the red black wires not a hint or jerk when i connect the green yellow to DC.

Well i have no idea this is a strange stepper but i still really like this type of motor ,i will keep an eye out for these future junking.
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri May 10, 2013 6:44 pm

With the motors and power supply i have hit a speed barrier . With the new design pulley system and floppy drive stepper i can get to the high end of 8 khz....for some reason when i try the frequency doubler i only get another khz out of it .
The only difference i can see is this stepper pumps out a higher voltage .

It does speed wise do a better job than the other direct drive version ,,,which with out the frequency doubler is only 4.5 khz more than likely this will do better on a pulley system as well .
i suppose if i pushed the DC motors more might not be a good idea ,i will look again at the passive frequency multiplier again .

Bairds 30 line system had a 13 khz band width ? i know dropping band width you loose detail in video but it can still be viewable as 625 line can be dropped to near 1 mhz ,i used to drop the band width on my old satellite tv receiver to dig a signal out of the snow .

Has any one played around with doing the same to NBTV ? I think i only have one third of what i should have or like before i start playing around making an amplifier with it then again isn't 10khz is the bandwidth when broadcasting it on the ham bands ...
Attachments
IMG_8553.JPG
About the high end i am getting at the moment
IMG_8553.JPG (260.88 KiB) Viewed 9448 times
IMG_8562.JPG
New pulley system test
IMG_8562.JPG (262.55 KiB) Viewed 9448 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed May 15, 2013 8:27 pm

I broke another record today so worth a post ,into the 16 khz range ,into the early generator RF transmitter range now .

I haven't had much time for a week so this was a nice step forward today .

I would like double this and i will keep experimenting to see if i can do better ,reading about the early German RF Generators they all ran at low RF frequencies no better or less than this stepper motor and used a frequency multiplication system of some sort not explained to get to a higher RF .

So far i have a electric DC motor speed control and an electric clock i suppose its time to work on that electric amplifier since i have some thing to run those magnetic amps with .

Will just see how i go but i am more hopeful now and i would like to get there and make an electric televisor ...it would be very different ....if the amp part works i think i would like to try a High voltage corona light idea for the lamp replacement .

Perhaps a dream so far but never know unless you try .
Attachments
P1050352.JPG
P1050352.JPG (379 KiB) Viewed 9431 times
P1050354.JPG
P1050354.JPG (374.47 KiB) Viewed 9431 times
Harry Dalek

Postby corne » Thu May 16, 2013 5:18 pm

Maybe the German generators used saturated core frequency multipliers. The next link has a circuit diagram of such multiplier.
http://www.antiquewireless.org/otb/blw535202.htm
I read somewhere that the Alexanderson alternator transmitter in Grimeton Sweden (17.2kHz carrier frequency), call sign SAQ, also uses these kinds of frequency multipliers.

Someone even made a direct conversion receiver using a mixer by saturating ferrite cores. have a look at:
http://wireless.org.uk/mechrx.htm
corne
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu May 16, 2013 10:37 pm

corne wrote:Maybe the German generators used saturated core frequency multipliers. The next link has a circuit diagram of such multiplier.
http://www.antiquewireless.org/otb/blw535202.htm
I read somewhere that the Alexanderson alternator transmitter in Grimeton Sweden (17.2kHz carrier frequency), call sign SAQ, also uses these kinds of frequency multipliers.

Someone even made a direct conversion receiver using a mixer by saturating ferrite cores. have a look at:
http://wireless.org.uk/mechrx.htm

Hi Corne

Thank you for the information links ....the one on the magnetic amp radio was very interesting ,its very similar to what i have in mind with the generator and the results .....only difference so far i have used a diode frequency multiplier The type in the ink i have not tried yet. Hes project is great i am glad as it again gives me more hope i am on the right track doing this ...i will study hes circuits.

The generator isn't to bad noise wise may be because i did mine on wood ,i can see if he put hes on that metal case there would be some rattling .

I am going high voltage with the output of the amp it will be a modulated flyback transformer ,i was going nipkow but thinking about it i will try out a flat version of the drum monitors i have done in the past for picture image size a 2 disk slit monitor ,it so happens due to using the old dvd drive the second motor used for the laser head can be used for the frame rate disk its geared runs slow and testing runs off my magnetic amp dc motor controller and its off to the side where the second would have to be .

So going this way a corona light would of been right for a Nipkow but its not for this, i have flat fluro that should work and would be just right for the picture size .
Harry Dalek

Re: Magnetic amplifier

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:26 pm

I found a page on a Audio magnetic amplifier singing Tesla coil in nuts and volts magazine so sharing here
http://nutsvolts.texterity.com/nutsvolt ... pg=68#pg68

A idea for us perhaps and might be dreaming but fun to think about these things and experiment .

Using a high voltage spark for a the light behind a nipkow has been done before but not with a magnetic amplifier so long as the AC frequency for the magnetic amp is high enough and so has bandwidth for the video modulating the spark as a light source for a Nipkow should work .

I see hand wound coils for the Audio magnetic amps ,perhaps using 2 audio speaker transformers might be a easier option for experiments .

If i had the skills to make a Audio magnetic amplifier so far not :roll: but if i got one going one day ..a dream would be in doing away with the solid state diodes and replacing them with magnetic diodes such as Teslas magnetic diode or some thing like that would be interesting and keeping it all electric in the way of wires and magnetism .
http://alternative-technologies.org/art ... ctifierII/
http://www.linux-host.org/energy/trect.htm
http://www.alternative-technologies.org ... rectifier/

The Ac high frequency for the magnetic amp would be a stepper motor as a generator or similar as in the last few posts ..with the correct pulley ratios you can get many khz maybe without frequency multipliers ..voltage would be no problem i can get 50 to 100 volts ac out of these things depending on speed frequency of the stepper.

On my small recent past experiments i have had not much luck on amplifying audio may be get it one day need to try to know .
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (84.68 KiB) Viewed 8417 times
Harry Dalek

Previous

Return to Off Topic