Playing with fire

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Postby M3DVQ » Wed May 22, 2013 11:01 pm

harry dalek wrote:I didn't notice that ...it could be the camera is seeing something we can't as you think ....the filament just looked a normal orange as i recall but i will check this .
I suppose it does look like a uv light this colour in the photo.

It's the IR. If you point the camera at an IR LED you'll see the CCD picks it up as that same mauve colour.
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu May 23, 2013 12:35 pm

M3DVQ wrote:
It's the IR. If you point the camera at an IR LED you'll see the CCD picks it up as that same mauve colour.

Hi Yes True i was thinking perhaps because theres a lot of RF ac passing through that filament it might be seeing it ...i tested it again today and its orange as per normal to the eye.

Now on to the next experiment !
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu May 23, 2013 1:36 pm

Some tests here on High voltage modulation i would like to see if the fluro can work fast enough ,i am going to see if the solar cell head amp hooked up to the pc can record the modulated light i have a large neon indicator tube i can test against ... then play it on Garys software .

The singing arc is very interesting and high voltage is a danger ,suppose its a lot easier these days just to use a Luxeon array .

Working with this brings back memories of being careful very time you turned on a valve project never to touch the live connections as you sure got a slap on the hands to say the least on any lapse of judgement.
Attachments
P1050444_WMV V9.wmv
NBTV Singing arc
(4.15 MiB) Downloaded 446 times
P1050447_WMV V9.wmv
Sing arc fluro test
(4.95 MiB) Downloaded 455 times
P1050442_WMV V8_001.wmv
Singing arc light bulb test
(2.1 MiB) Downloaded 437 times
P1050452.JPG
Singing arc NBTV fluro test
P1050452.JPG (284.06 KiB) Viewed 4667 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Previous

Return to Off Topic