Hot glue

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Hot glue

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Not sure how useful this information is but i stumbled on this effect of old hot glue on my current project.

It has a sort of Phosphorescence effect its very fast and unlike any thing i have played with in the past it looks to me to be glowing at the same frequency bit like a crime scene ,things that are Phosphorescent tend to glow at different frequencies and its a slow effect this is fast .

The hot glue absorbs ultraviolet light and re-emits that energy as visible light at that frequency where as around it its does not .
Attachments
P1060993.JPG
P1060993.JPG (231.94 KiB) Viewed 4752 times
P1060994.JPG
P1060994.JPG (306.33 KiB) Viewed 4752 times
P1060996.JPG
P1060996.JPG (342.46 KiB) Viewed 4752 times
P1060993.gif
test
P1060993.gif (11.32 MiB) Viewed 4751 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Hot glue

Postby gary » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:14 pm

Don't get any on your sheets... ;-)
gary

Re: Hot glue

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:55 pm

gary wrote:Don't get any on your sheets... ;-)

Yes this could be a problem ! i am blaming the hot glue !! :shock:

I do think its an interesting effect but,what ever the chemical is it would make a great coating for a Tv screen ,more than likely not good for your eyes Uv frequency screen yakes ! I think i would rather it charge a phosphorescent coating and it emit a safer frequency as with the SSTV project.

Talking of that my kids were given some rulers they have a coating temperature sensitive paint on both sides one day perhaps when the camera bug wanes might look into this .
I was thinking perhaps a IR laser might do the trick or i suppose a powerful burning laser of any frequency ,i did try a DVD laser on it a few months back to no effect so who knows might work but depends on laser power ,just another crazy idea to stave off dementia :shock:
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Off Topic