An idea on flying spot scanning with a twist

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

An idea on flying spot scanning with a twist

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:09 pm

Just something i was thinking about while trying the slide sstv flying spot idea and put the idea out there .

Thinking of a cross between flying spot and direct light camera which i suppose original tv camera tubes are or were in their case using electron scanning.

I was wondering if it were possible to reverse the idea a little ,i rather a mechanical version perhaps laser mechanical scanning but an easier description is to use a crt tube as in the scope set up as is , if you focused and image on a white scope screen instead of placing a slide transparency there must is a point adjusting the scopes brightness on the scanning dot where more and less light from the focused image would effect the light from the scopes scan as a slide does ,but i suppose if it did work the dark areas of the focused image would be shown as bright since theres no light and the scopes scan line will show up brighter if it would work at all.

I was thinking since the scopes light is green mixing with a focused image of other colours cause a darker colour mix in the scopes light which might be able to be picked up if balanced .

I suppose the focused image brightness would effect head amp as an amount of light does for flying spot scanners and stop it working but most of these things are a balancing act to much or to little light from focused image or scanning line one or the other .

Just a crazy idea slides are hard enough.
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: An idea on flying spot scanning with a twist

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:02 pm

I just wanted to try out the idea a little further today if it had any promise .

The light levels were good enough to see if a focused image on a crt that you could see the difference in light levels with a scanning line .

I suppose the brighter the day light the more you can adjust the scope intensity ,only speculating but i don't think the scan intensity can be brighter than white intensity of the image focused on the crt.

I think the idea would be better using white scanning line than green from this scope but any case adjusting the intensity of the scan line it pretty much did what i expected ,theres a point where its harder to view when mixed with the whiter image and easier on any thing darker.

Having a lens light boxed over the front of the crt and perhaps large solar cells on the inside walls of the light box picking up the scan line varying due to the image might be possible ,light level of the scan line is very low if it were possible to pick up the difference with the intensity up higher on this i'd be more hopeful.
Again just an idea .
Attachments
IMG_0538.JPG
IMG_0538.JPG (72.19 KiB) Viewed 4118 times
IMG_0532.JPG
IMG_0532.JPG (76.25 KiB) Viewed 4118 times
IMG_0502.JPG
IMG_0502.JPG (65.67 KiB) Viewed 4118 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Off Topic