Noaa 19 Weather Satellite

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Re: Noaa 19 Weather Satellite

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon May 23, 2016 7:05 pm

Heres a look at Old School receiving today since i was working in my shed so hooked it up to the new antenna to the old system ,the image is interesting as the south pole this time of year is in Darkness so the satellites light channel is switched off till theres enough light to get switched on again ...
Attachments
001.jpg
001.jpg (494.02 KiB) Viewed 6858 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed May 25, 2016 7:09 pm

Harry, well done again.

I'm suffering(?) from a deluge of 'real work' right now. So I haven't been as active as I would like to be, that includes the 3BP1 monitor thing. It never rains, it pours. So please have patience, I will get there in time.

I was hoping to retire when I was 45, that was 15 years ago. I must be doing something right, or perhaps wrong?

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed May 25, 2016 10:07 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Harry, well done again.

I'm suffering(?) from a deluge of 'real work' right now. So I haven't been as active as I would like to be, that includes the 3BP1 monitor thing. It never rains, it pours. So please have patience, I will get there in time.

I was hoping to retire when I was 45, that was 15 years ago. I must be doing something right, or perhaps wrong?

Steve A.

Thats Ok Steve ,I have no problems waiting on finishing it off its at the stage it is working just that mirror problem ..Just when all the work problems have died down and you have time is fine i am not fussed waiting .

Well retiring would be nice if you can do it catch 22 money or leisure ! a nice compromise would be picky on jobs if possible.
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:15 pm

Got a very nice pass of Noaa 19 yesterday afternoon south to north pass ...amazing the Quadrifilar Helix Antenna can pick the satellite up at 2 or 3 degs pretty much the tip of Antarctica.
Attachments
14045569_10210620575130227_1140168595838697669_n.jpg
14045569_10210620575130227_1140168595838697669_n.jpg (184.85 KiB) Viewed 6769 times
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:37 pm

Another really good picture!

Yep the Amateur Radio guys are always banging on about a good antenna, you can have the best receiver in the world but you won't get much with a crappy antenna.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:24 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Another really good picture!

Yep the Amateur Radio guys are always banging on about a good antenna, you can have the best receiver in the world but you won't get much with a crappy antenna.

Steve A.

OH yes for sure ,the hard part about polar orbiting satellites is they move to get an antenna to receive a clear picture from horizon to horizon and the antenna is omni directional quadrifilar helix antenna is the way to go in this case ...very gratifying to make it work ....second life this antenna it was a old TV 1960's VHF i found in a clients back yard they were happy to get rid of it .
Not the easiest antenna to make but i know now it was worth it .
Harry Dalek

Previous

Return to Off Topic