Alternator oscillator

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Alternator oscillator

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:42 pm

Put together here a few steppers as Alternators high frequency high voltage oscillators for testing .
Using one half of them voltage range is up to 100 volts on the best one running half the stepper and 200 no load on correct wiring
So there are 3 Alternators here ...4.5 khz 5.5khz and 5.5 khz on load the wired up one gives 6.5 khz that is lighting the 240 volt bulb i found so far putting a 1 k resistor across this increases the frequency to 6.9 khz might be worth testing this with a pot .
They would be half this frequency running one side of the stepper ///there are 2 ways to double the frequency and voltage either short 2 windings from the unused side of the stepper or connect one lead of the unused side to the used side of the stepper same result it seems ...
Well mixing 1 alternator both half's frequency doubles wonder if using 2 alternators mixing the frequency does the same worth a shot also there to test Stepper motors i come across
I have used a passive frequency doubler in the past but it does drop the voltage as i recall got up to 16 khz last time i tried
Need to also look at if there are Harmonics this could be useful in this case///
They are a bit noisy for this go doing this video :oops:

youtu.be/vnGuei1zgz4
Attachments
IMG_2096.JPG
IMG_2096.JPG (235.37 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
IMG_2092.JPG
IMG_2092.JPG (243.61 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
Last edited by Harry Dalek on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Alternator oscillator

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:02 pm

Tried another idea to cheat with a passive very familiar circuit to all ...frequency multiplier its a little different than the circuit below ...using a 5k pot so far did not bother with the cap and other transformer not wanting a higher voltage..i did tried the cap same result with or without ........the 5k pot you can change the Alternator frequency a few Khz if thats useful or not as would be wanting the high end any case .
i wonder if a tripling circuit will work as well.
Theres now 14khz and now seems to be harmonics 28 khz i need to check on frequency spectrum scope
22 volts AC now which is useful as well that should be more than enough to run a magnetic amplifier ..
The sine wave looks nice and clean on the analog scope checking .....
Attachments
Screen 00004.jpg
Screen 00004.jpg (30.35 KiB) Viewed 5561 times
DSCN8495.JPG
DSCN8495.JPG (176.48 KiB) Viewed 5561 times
DSCN8492.JPG
DSCN8492.JPG (182.84 KiB) Viewed 5561 times
DSCN8485.JPG
DSCN8485.JPG (139.24 KiB) Viewed 5561 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:52 pm

Out of interest i tried modulating idea with a carbon mic between the one of the alternator outputs and the ac bridge rectifier frequency multiplier in pin result changing resistance changes frequency a touch ... FM result happening as i tap the mic..
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed May 03, 2017 10:52 pm

Working on the Hf Alternator some more today ,i would like to AM modulate the carrier wave that would be interesting either way its fun trying ! i would not say this is easy or as easy using a valve transistor circuit just trying to see what works and what doesn't when i have a hankering .

I managed to work out with a simple magnetic amplifier that gives a 20 or so volt increase in saturation from a high impedance state partly off into a very low-impedance state on state controlling with the secondary either a full on by switch or an adjustable state with a 5k pot ..the transformer may be improved on but this one showed results today ...transformers from the first stage of a radio push pull amp so that came in handy ...i will try it with other transformers now i know round abouts what will work .

Put some you tube videos up here to show what i was up to not great chatting but hate videos my self that don't explain things least i tried !

youtu.be/HFJD7fWD32E

youtu.be/KiPJdXyavgk

youtu.be/qLJfu6WAW5s

youtu.be/GDAjhWs1bfU
Attachments
IMG_2185.JPG
IMG_2185.JPG (234.55 KiB) Viewed 5524 times
IMG_2201.JPG
IMG_2201.JPG (177.67 KiB) Viewed 5524 times
IMG_2190.JPG
IMG_2190.JPG (179.72 KiB) Viewed 5524 times
IMG_2200.JPG
IMG_2200.JPG (180 KiB) Viewed 5524 times
IMG_2209.JPG
IMG_2209.JPG (135.07 KiB) Viewed 5524 times
IMG_2198.JPG
IMG_2198.JPG (221.33 KiB) Viewed 5524 times
Harry Dalek

Return to Off Topic