My great-granddad's amateur station from the 50s!!

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Re: My great-granddad's amateur station from the 50s!!

Postby Andrew Davie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:08 pm

gary wrote:
Andrew Davie wrote:
The forum is just a host; I cannot possibly determine copyright ownership for content posted by others. Just like any hosting forum such as YouTube, I accept that the poster of the item is doing the right thing. If I get a notice of copyright infringement my policy would be to immediately remove the offending item pending determination of actual ownership. In other words, the onus is on the person posting stuff, not me to pre-emptively filter stuff out. I respect copyright, but there is also fair use. As to a particular video not being available in a particular country - I could guess many reasons for that. Probably just *asking* the YouTube person about the video would be the first approach. He/she may very well be happy to have it hosted on the forum.

Just to be clear Andrew, I think there is little doubt what the reason is for the video being unavailable for display in certain countries. It is the music track associated with the video. My position is that if it is in breach of copyright on Youtube when accessed in Australia it is likely be in breach if hosted here - there could be a justification for "fair use" in both cases but determining that, one way or another, is way above my pay grade.

Also, to be clear, when I mentioned I could upload an audioless version to my channel, I was, of course, referring to my Youtube channel not this forum. but I am sure you realised that.

What's not so clear is that although *I* am in Oz, the website is actually hosted somewhere else. Hong Kong, I think. I don't have region-based access lock control on items on the forum. It's all or nothing. I'm not responsible for what people post, though I can of course make efforts to remove it once I'm notified of a breach.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby gary » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:14 pm

I am in Oz too, I am not sure what you are getting at there, I realise you can't control what people upload, I was merely thinking you might want to release a general policy on the matter is all, and maybe that's exactly what you are doing.
gary

Postby Andrew Davie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:19 pm

gary wrote:I am in Oz too, I am not sure what you are getting at there, I realise you can't control what people upload, I was merely thinking you might want to release a general policy on the matter is all, and maybe that's exactly what you are doing.

I was just trying to be clear - I guess I wasn't :)

OK, general policy - the rule for all is "let's respect peoples' copyright and intellectual property wherever we can".
Ask for permission if you know the copyright holder. If you don't, or that is difficult to determine, then it seems reasonable to post items. If you post a copyrighted item, and you know that it is copyrighted but believe it is OK to post... please credit the copyright owner with a small note.
If/when I am notified of the site hosting copyrighted material to which the copyright owner objects, I will take that material down pending a resolution one way or the other.
In short, the policy is to respect intellectual ownership and do the right thing.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby gary » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:14 pm

Thanks Andrew, I suppose I was just after confirmation that I wasn't being too paranoid about it and that clears it up nicely I think. Cheers.
gary

Postby OmegaProductions » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:58 am

It's quite annoying that he is playing music with copyright. He should of been playing public domain music, which has no copyright at all! :?
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby gary » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:42 am

OmegaProductions wrote:It's quite annoying that he is playing music with copyright. He should of been playing public domain music, which has no copyright at all! :?

Indeed, it would have been wiser to do so, particularly as it is an integral part of the purpose of the video. Something contemporaneous with the gear would have been a nice touch as well.

I am surprised that the video hasn't been struck with a copyright infringement notice by YouTube, I can't imagine there is somewhere in the world where that particular song is not under copyright. It's very odd.
gary

Postby OmegaProductions » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:54 am

However, there is a site convert2mp3, you can go to the video section (e.g. mp4, wmv, avi, etc.) however when you get them, be careful with those dangerous adverts pop ups! Always close them quick! After it has been converted, you could view it! Simple! :|
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby OmegaProductions » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:57 am

gary wrote:Indeed, it would have been wiser to do so, particularly as it is an integral part of the purpose of the video. Something contemporaneous with the gear would have been a nice touch as well.

I am surprised that the video hasn't been struck with a copyright infringement notice by YouTube, I can't imagine there is somewhere in the world where that particular song is not under copyright. It's very odd.

I do agree with you. I do not know why on earth they block in some countries like yours. Very unusually odd indeed! :|
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby OmegaProductions » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:16 pm

Hello... I have some sad news of all...
My great granddad Peter died last night. He unfortunately died of pneumonia at a nursing home.

R.I.P. Grandad Peter (1925-2018) :(
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:47 pm

OmegaProductions wrote:Hello... I have some sad news of all...
My great granddad Peter died last night. He unfortunately died of pneumonia at a nursing home.

Sorry to hear that :cry: not much more you can say .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Andrew Davie » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:31 pm

OmegaProductions wrote:Hello... I have some sad news of all...

Sorry to hear your bad news. If you're struggling, please talk to someone - often talking is the absolute best way to cope with loss.
All the best.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Klaas Robers » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:45 pm

So G3ESY sk (= silent key). That is how we radio hams call this. This is fact of life. Fortunately radio hams get to high ages. I heard that statistics in the USA prooved that radio hams get about 8 years more than the mean age. And I see that he lived 93 years, that surprises me not at all. Nobody knows why this happens. But at least we can say that the high fieldstrengths of his generated radiowaves did not harm his health. People that always are nagging about "radiation" should know this. Indeed, they will not like it. Besides: "radiowaves" is not "radiation".

Take good care of his equipment and try to keep it as is.

PAØKLS
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby OmegaProductions » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:23 am

Okay, thanks for the message Klaas! :) :!:
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Previous

Return to Off Topic