Kinetoscope (pictures on a cylinder!)

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Kinetoscope (pictures on a cylinder!)

Postby OmegaProductions » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:53 am

Hello guys! :D

Today I have a off-topic post for you! I found this one interesting...I was interested into silent films since 2016, and I found some interesting early films.

In the 1890s, the Kinetoscope, was released by Thomas Edison and William Dickson. However back in the 1880s, when they were still working on their Kinetoscope system, their original version was tiny pictures wrapped around the metal cylinder. His was quite similar to his cylinder phonograph invention, instead with pictures on it. Interesting! :shock:
The film he did in 1889 was Monkeyshines, but it was not released to the public, it was just a test footage. Here are some pictures. :)

edisons-first-movie-machine-the-kinetoscope-was-a-talkie-in-1886-the-F2B5HK.jpg

stock-photo-thomas-edison-s-first-motion-picture-machine-which-recorded-pictures-on-a-cylinder-237230152.jpg
stock-photo-thomas-edison-s-first-motion-picture-machine-which-recorded-pictures-on-a-cylinder-237230152.jpg (34.32 KiB) Viewed 5090 times

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDmAxdLvdQ4

It might be interesting if we did a homemade version of it. That would be really fun for me! :D

Anyways...that's all I had to say. See you later and goodbye! :D
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Re: Kinetoscope (pictures on a cylinder!)

Postby OmegaProductions » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:14 am

Hello guys! :D
I have now done my drawing of what the camera looks like. I hope you enjoy! :D :) :wink:

Kinetoscope camera drawing (19th-11-2017).png
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby McGee2021 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:58 pm

Wow, ive been researching Edison since i was five, and ive never heard of this! As far as i know, wax cylinder recordings lasted into the 40's, with Edison's dictating machine, called a Voice-Writer, a machine that i have. Albert, a member on this forum, used a voice-writer to record NBTV signals onto wax cylinders.
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby OmegaProductions » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:57 am

Oh yeah...I noticed. I was into Edison when I was at primary I think, from the library, but I known all about him from the Internet. But this version had no photos of the camera, so I did a drawing of what the construction looks like... But anyways, thanks for the post McGee! :)
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Return to Off Topic