Aussie Amateur television tests

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Aussie Amateur television tests

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:21 pm

This has to be the eariest mechanical field sequential colour tests in Australia but also interesting footage of their hobby .

youtu.be/fbAhNpHOXg4
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Aussie Amateur television tests

Postby OmegaProductions » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:32 am

WOW!! This is actually interesting! I don't see much hams using television, they mostly used radio. But it is very fascinating about how they broadcast their own TV shows though! :D
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:41 am

Is there supposed to be sound with the clip? If so I didn't get any.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:24 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Is there supposed to be sound with the clip? If so I didn't get any.

Steve A.

I am not sure there on the sound ,i thinking is super 8 or 16 mm camera footage most of the time those things were mechanical on the 16mm cameras and super 8 battery as well but not sure if they had sound recording ...But yes wonderful footage ! amazing to me for the times the cost of the gear for a start would not of been cheap ,those South Australians are a rich lot with their vineyards !
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:40 pm

Actually I am wrong. There was about 2 seconds of sound about 5-10 seconds before the end but no other.

Yes, I expected no sound from the original film but I would have thought someone would have narrated it if they went to all the trouble of putting it together. Oh well.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:37 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Actually I am wrong. There was about 2 seconds of sound about 5-10 seconds before the end but no other.

Yes, I expected no sound from the original film but I would have thought someone would have narrated it if they went to all the trouble of putting it together. Oh well.

Steve A.

Yes a pity Steve ! but glad they had the insight to film their gear the colour experiments are interesting ,i think we had medical colour tv system at the time but if they broadcast this they have a first in this country even closed circuit and the mechanical colour wheel system never heard any one else trying it .
I like the Ham tv station idea they really are dedicated lot like this NZ guy go local tv ! ,i noticed he has my pal ntsc systems converter in he's gear rack .

youtu.be/IQhLhXuDGkc
Harry Dalek

VCR Hack

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:53 pm

This is a simple little idea for the to try list nice use of a vcr ....and its analog .

youtu.be/XCIJUga8b9Y
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:53 pm

In the past you could buy 'after-burners' sometimes called 'video-senders' used in the same way. Most VCRs/DVDs that had an RF output were on a single channel, I think t was CH32 in the UK. The RF was at about 500-odd MHz. This channel wasn't used by broadcasters so there would be no interference with the VCR RF output - working from my rubbish memory here.

Now analogue TV has gone that channel may be used by some other service so you could find interference - and you may interfere with them. In theory a licence is needed but the chances of getting one is zero. Admittedly the power and range isn't a great deal, and you'll probably get away with it.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Robonz » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:45 pm

I made some of these using descretes and they worked really well. The problem I had was the VHF band was busy and every time I made one, it's 3rd harmonic would wipe out the next channel up. It turns out that making the output band-pass filter of a TV transmitter is much harder than making the transmitter itself. At that point I gave up as it was quite disruptive e.g. knocking out the neighbours TV reception. I did get really good range though.

I guess today the VHF TV bands are not really used that much so it would probably be okay.
Robonz
Evil Genius

i remember watching this at the time

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:03 pm

Watching this again 30 years later ....i wonder if he crossed over to digital :wink:

youtu.be/C6Xif9hd2Ps
Harry Dalek

Postby DrZarkov » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:57 pm

I've bought from Australia two TV-modulators. The advantage over European models is, they use channels in VHF band I, very close to the German Channel 3 and 4. Both are now empty and no longer in use. The advantage over cheaper and easier to optain American TV modulators is, that Australia used the same analog TV-norm like Germany (PAL B, G, H). My plan was, to feed my old 1950s TV-sets directly form DVD or satellite receiver, without the need of a UHF-converter. In real life that didn't work well, as the sound wasn't clear with those Australian modulators.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:53 pm

DrZarkov wrote:I've bought from Australia two TV-modulators. The advantage over European models is, they use channels in VHF band I, very close to the German Channel 3 and 4. Both are now empty and no longer in use. The advantage over cheaper and easier to optain American TV modulators is, that Australia used the same analog TV-norm like Germany (PAL B, G, H). My plan was, to feed my old 1950s TV-sets directly form DVD or satellite receiver, without the need of a UHF-converter. In real life that didn't work well, as the sound wasn't clear with those Australian modulators.

You can or could of do it another way via a Aussie vcr ..or German even better ? The vcr has a modulator built in ,
i used the VCR another way in the 1990s block down converter LNB small mesh dish for our first pay tv system i think from memory it it was on around 2 Ghz and transmitted down from Sydney to our local area the lnb converted those block of channels what ever bandwidth for that was high end of 1 Ghz to low 2 Ghz to a band of VHF frequencies then i used the VCR's tuner to tune the channels ...i had to invert the video signal that was their scrabbling idea along with weakening the Horizontal sync pulse...Ho hum ~! :roll: Ok to view but not record with out further work on the video sync pulse .
But The VCR is what you use ...
Harry Dalek

Postby DrZarkov » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:36 pm

Practically all European VCRs use Channel 36 (UHF), switchable 2 channels up or down, as a standard for output. That's no option with an old TV-set, which are usually VHF only. I think the reason is, because in the UK and in France the VHF band was used for the elder systems 405/819 lines until the 1980s, so the TV companies in Europe agreed to Ch 36 for their VCRs. The only exception I know is the Atari VCS, which "transmits" on VHF.
DrZarkov

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:10 am

DrZarkov wrote:The only exception I know is the Atari VCS, which "transmits" on VHF.

I'm rather well known in the Atari community!
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby DrZarkov » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:33 am

Yes, I've heard so :)
DrZarkov

Next

Return to Off Topic