Techmoan video on VinylVideo

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Techmoan video on VinylVideo

Postby smeezekitty » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:37 am

Just uploaded recently. It shows an interesting example of NBTV compressed to work within the bandwidth of a normal 45 RPM record. He also touches on early recordings by Baird and mechanical TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtNGVb94TFE
smeezekitty
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Re: Techmoan video on VinylVideo

Postby DrZarkov » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:42 pm

Impressive. I own an old "TED Bildplattenspieler" from Telefunken, made in 1975. It uses also vinyl records, has crude colour pictures, but a reasonable sound quality. One records plays for 10 minutes. The disc spins with 1,500 RPM, for the picture it uses a special extra fine diamond, which will be polished before every use. The grooves are 40 times smaller than on a normal record. If you would combine that old technology with VinylVideo, full HD 90 minutes recordings on a 30 cm disc should be possible. But it wouldn't be cheap...
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:54 pm

DrZarkov wrote:Impressive. I own an old "TED Bildplattenspieler" from Telefunken, made in 1975. It uses also vinyl records, has crude colour pictures, but a reasonable sound quality. One records plays for 10 minutes. The disc spins with 1,500 RPM, for the picture it uses a special extra fine diamond, which will be polished before every use. The grooves are 40 times smaller than on a normal record. If you would combine that old technology with VinylVideo, full HD 90 minutes recordings on a 30 cm disc should be possible. But it wouldn't be cheap...

Interesting i heard of some thing similar looks like its a play only machine from the video ?

youtu.be/PEyFw0SOJrM
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby DrZarkov » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:35 am

Yes, it's a play only device.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Klaas Robers » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:55 am

Oh yes, in 1972 (about) I have seen the Telefunken TED bildplatte playing. The people at Philips Nat.Lab. were afraid of it. It was an enemy system to our optical VLP disc (later on called laservision). I remember the unsharp pictures as they used a line sequential R-G-B signal, which lines were delayed by two lines to reconstruct a PAL- or RGB-signal as an output. That gave a reduction in vertical resolution by a factor of 3, if not 6 because of the interlace. It was called: "Tripal", although it was no PAL at all. What is in a name.

And I remember the wear of the disc, which was noticable after you played it several times. Just like vinyl grammophone records. I also observed that in the VinylVideo film: rather large drop-outs. The more you play it, the more you get of them. It looks to me as a Low-Tech-Moan system.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Return to Off Topic