Telefunken's TED video player

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Telefunken's TED video player

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:54 pm

Experimental prototype

A few years later

youtu.be/DuLj_lE_uJM
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Telefunken's TED video player

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:05 pm

Whoops i did mean to put this in off Topic area as it is not NBTV
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Dave Moll » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:01 pm

And so that's where it has landed.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:59 pm

Dave Moll wrote:And so that's where it has landed.

No problems ! where i was thinking i was posting :roll:
Thanks Dave
Harry Dalek

Postby DrZarkov » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:40 pm

I bought one a couple of years ago on a boot-market, together with some records. Of course it wasn't working any more, it has some mechanical issues. As this is very difficult to repair, I donated the TED to the Radio and Gramophone Museum in Dormagen (near Cologne), where I know one of the two owners of that museum for about 30 years now. So hopefully one day there will be a working TED video player in action at this museum :)
http://grammofon.de/museum/
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:27 pm

DrZarkov wrote:I bought one a couple of years ago on a boot-market, together with some records. Of course it wasn't working any more, it has some mechanical issues. As this is very difficult to repair, I donated the TED to the Radio and Gramophone Museum in Dormagen (near Cologne), where I know one of the two owners of that museum for about 30 years now. So hopefully one day there will be a working TED video player in action at this museum :)
http://grammofon.de/museum/

Good onya Dr Z ~ ! thats a good idea to save it ,would not be many about these days .
Harry Dalek

Postby DrZarkov » Tue May 11, 2021 6:33 am

Luckily I've made some photos before I gave it to the museum:
ted.jpg

ted2.jpg
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu May 13, 2021 1:37 pm

Can't say i have ever seen a real one you are very lucky to have had it that time ...might be a good thing too as i do like scrapping stuff for parts ! ; 0 )
Harry Dalek

Postby Klaas Robers » Fri May 14, 2021 6:47 pm

I have seen pictures of it working at Philips Research. We then had the optical disc VLP (Video Long Play) and others released competing systems, amongst them this mechanical TED. For colour it used a system that they called "triPAL". It was not PAL at all, but line sequential RGB. This gave very unsharp picures as they had to combine 3 TV-lines, for one coloured line. In the vertical direction this was very unsharp.
In PAL two lines are combined, but only for colour. Here also the luminance was stored in the 3 successive lines.
And then the disc was read by a diamond needle, which guaranteed severe disc wear. The discs were not ridgid, but floppy, which was needed for the reading process.

Yes, that was a time where we could see the near future to be develloped. I was just a few years in Philips Research (Nat.Lab.). It could go in every direction. But looking back we did not bad with the optical disc system. If I remind the billions of CD's and CD-ROM's that resulted.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Return to Off Topic