Totally frivolous and nothing to do with NBTV

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Re: Totally frivolous and nothing to do with NBTV

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun May 15, 2022 4:50 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Thanks for that Harry, feedback is always good to have.

Now, I'm not going anywhere near audio CDs or DVDs as they're about as reliable as the British summer and their 44.1kHz sampling rate is a pain, though the 48kHz audio sampling rate of DVDs is OK. I don't have a CD/DVD drive anyway, nor have I any reason to get one.

I have one or two other ideas in addition to those above, any other suggestions chaps?

Steve A.

Well you saw what i did to them 8) i am not a fan of the optical storage at all ....
Yes looks like they are being phased out on Pc's
Concept idea perhaps you can upload an image or little video to it and you have a way of punching in what you want out of it bit like the freeNBTV program so 30 lines 4 frames a sec or 36 line 6 frames a sec so up to its limits what ever that may be .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun May 15, 2022 6:06 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:..I am not a fan of the optical storage at all ....Yes looks like they are being phased out on Pc's

When I went to a large PC exhibition recently (where I bought my new PC) virtually no PCs had built-in CD/DVD drives. If you really need one (not me) your only option appeared to be an external USB version.

I was one of many who had an Iomega Zip-drive (100MB Magneto-optical 'super-floppy'). It worked well for the first 18 months or so, but it developed the (in)famous 'Click Of Death'. I was so pissed off with it I threw the damn thing out of my sixth-floor apartment window. It landed in one of Bangkok's stinking canals. Iomega's motto at the time was, "Your data is safe here"...Oh yea?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_of_death

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun May 15, 2022 8:05 pm

Hahahahahaah thats the way Steve ; ) Perhaps mechanical digital storage is not a good way to do it HD's seem to last the longest but one fault and they are rat S>>T as well .
Only thing i don't like about the trend is we will forget how to do all this perhaps humans will never need the ideas again but sad in any case . I do see the beauty of a tiny thing DVD drive in a older laptop but sounds like those days are over as well .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon May 16, 2022 1:59 pm

The whole idea of using the Zip-discs/drive was as my backup medium. It's useless when the backup is less reliable than the media you're backing up. I lost a lot of data due to that failure.

These days I have two external USB hard drives attached to my PC, 'belt and braces' backup policy.

Now, using the 'cloud' might be the way to go, the cost is reasonable, though you can get limited storage for free with some providers. The downside is you need Internet access and you may be somewhere without a connection, rare, but it could happen. Also, can you trust them with your data?

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Dave Moll » Mon May 16, 2022 6:53 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:I was one of many who had an Iomega Zip-drive (100MB Magneto-optical 'super-floppy'). It worked well for the first 18 months or so, but it developed the (in)famous 'Click Of Death'. I was so pissed off with it I threw the damn thing out of my sixth-floor apartment window. It landed in one of Bangkok's stinking canals. Iomega's motto at the time was, "Your data is safe here"...Oh yea?

I must say that I've never had the click-of-death problem with Zip drives, having used both 100MB and 250MB versions (in a 250MB drive). In fact, I still have a USB Zip drive that I occasionally use if I need to find something I'd stored away on a Zip disc in the past.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue May 17, 2022 12:29 pm

All I can say Dave is you're lucky and in the minority. All those I know that had one of either capacity (seven individuals that I can recall) all fell victim to the 'Click of Death'. I suggest if any of the data on those Zip-discs is important copy it onto a different media. I wouldn't risk buying anything from Iomega now.

I believe it's a similar story with the follow-up Iomega 1GB Jaz-drive, but a different failure mode. For obvious reasons I never bought one of those...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaz_drive

It's all academic now with USB Flash-Drives...though it's not unknown for them to fail.

The ultimate is probably a reputable cloud storage plus a NAS RAID array (Network Attached Storage)...though I haven't gone that far...yet.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Dave Moll » Tue May 17, 2022 6:04 pm

Don't worry - everything I think I need has been copied to other media long ago. My Zip drive is retained as a curiosity as much as anything else.

I do have a Jaz drive somewhere, but it was a parallel port version and thus painfully slow, so it never saw any serious use. I certainly don't have anything stored on Jaz discs. Jaz drives/discs came in either 1GB or 2GB versions, but I can't remember whether my drive supported 2GB. I think my discs were all 1GB.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed May 18, 2022 5:11 pm

Well. if I found a Zip or Jaz drive in my pile of junk, you can guess what might happen to it/them! I'm pretty sure that I have neither now. I never bought a Jaz drive after the Zip drive fiasco...understandable really...

With two external USB hard drives as backups now I hope I'm reasonably secure. A NAS is the ultimate answer, and/or cloud storage too. Cloud storage also takes your data off-site too in the event of a disaster (Flood. fire, theft etc.) An alternative is to provide a backup service for a friend, and you do the same for him/her, it covers the off-site requirement though not as private maybe. An element of trust is required.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu May 19, 2022 5:50 pm

I always wanted one of those by the time i could they were obsolete i got something ages ago that was like tiny video tape but for digital storage recorder player that got pulled to bits i got to it before it got to any data storage of mine ; )
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu May 19, 2022 7:57 pm

If anyone doesn't have some form of backup plan they're simply asking for a disaster. It happens, or has (me), or will (you). It is inevitable. And it will happen at the worst possible time, for sure.

Recovering from such an event does time a bit of time, and being disciplined to do the backups requires a bit of effort. But there is software 'out there' that will do it for you in the background for you.

If you don't have a backup plan in place now...DO IT! No more to add...It WILL bite you on the bum in time!

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu May 19, 2022 9:05 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:If anyone doesn't have some form of backup plan they're simply asking for a disaster. It happens, or has (me), or will (you). It is inevitable. And it will happen at the worst possible time, for sure.

Recovering from such an event does time a bit of time, and being disciplined to do the backups requires a bit of effort. But there is software 'out there' that will do it for you in the background for you.

If you don't have a backup plan in place now...DO IT! No more to add...It WILL bite you on the bum in time!

Steve A.

I have an external HD thats lasted a few years now but like every thing it will die i also have things on a few lap top drives have not really bothered with CD DVD after i found most of the time they just stop working due to a scratch or aging after a few years ,and scattered stuff on the net ,i hope a little bit is kept on the second as most things you own tend to be lost after your gone not that you can worry about it nothing lasts for ever ,really can only worry about now and near future :roll:
Harry Dalek

Previous

Return to Off Topic