Solder price these days !

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Solder price these days !

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:02 pm

i just got a roll of solder from jarcar electronics 64 bucks cheapest roll 37 largest roll was $140 1kg , pretty much got ya by the balls if you want to buy local and have this as your hobby .
A while back being a keeper reuser penny pinching i used to collect the reheated solder from old boards while when scrapping parts and let it drop in a jar for future melting i think the way costs having gone up on this it may very well be time to start again collecting the conducting gold it seems to be these days !
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Solder price these days !

Postby Dave Moll » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:42 pm

Are those prices for real solder or that ghastly lead-free stuff?

Presumably, you would need to use externally-applied flux with the reclaimed solder.

Fortunately, I don't do a large amount of soldering, and the reel of 60/40 I have will probably outlive me!
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Re: Solder price these days !

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:20 pm

Dave Moll wrote:Are those prices for real solder or that ghastly lead-free stuff?

Presumably, you would need to use externally-applied flux with the reclaimed solder.

Fortunately, I don't do a large amount of soldering, and the reel of 60/40 I have will probably outlive me!

That's worse the lead free stuff my roll of 500g would be $94 bucks my lead roll was 64 ! still bad enough i recall when it was half the price 2 years back , i feel sorry for any one trying to do this as a hobby pricing kids out of it .
Really have to cut costs and reuse parts ,the solder idea a lot could be reused the flux is pretty cheap might have to get to the point saved solder is the way to go 100 dollars a roll of solder in the future is not some thing i want to spend money on 64 .95 is bad enough !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdIBVJeH-JA&t=17s
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Off Topic