Fast Scan TV Transmitted Using A Baofeng UV5R.

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Fast Scan TV Transmitted Using A Baofeng UV5R.

Postby jjester6000 » Thu May 19, 2022 8:01 am

So I've had this childhood dream of bringing back analog television ever since I was given a Sony Watchman FD20 right after the digital switchover.

Since I just recently became a ham radio operator, I decided to make it a reality. Now I don't have an actual ATV Transmitter, (yet) but I do have a dime a dozen Baofeng UV5R.
20220518_151156.jpg

Though the voice channel is nowhere near wide enough for a full 6MHz NTSC video signal, I decided to try it anyways.
20220518_151255.jpg

I went and got my trusty Sanyo VC500/homemade digital recorder to use as a video source, got my UV5R, and started transmitting.
20220518_151110.jpg

Now most Hams use the 70cm band since cable channel 58 overlaps into it. I unfortunately do not own anything that can pick up cable channel 58, so I went with UHF channel 14 at 471.250 MHz (The video carrier for channel 14). Now I understand that is kinda out of my jurisdiction for a technician level ham, but it overlaps with walkie talkie frequencies, so I think it's still kinda legal (other than the illegal power output.)
VideoCapture_20220518-150854.jpg

So here's the result.

I was using a 10 inch Admiral B&W to pick it up form the over room. Now it was very had to keep the image stable, but I could almost make out the truck at times. The Baofeng's digital modulation is probably what did it in, but this is a better result than I expected.

Do you guys have any tips on how I could modify on the Baofeng to actually make it work?
If life doesn't give you lemons - Grow Some DAMMIT!!!
jjester6000
Laboratory Assistant

Re: Fast Scan TV Transmitted Using A Baofeng UV5R.

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu May 19, 2022 5:42 pm

Some times its better to show it as a video file get more detail .
If you are using a voice channel to transmit some thing 6MHZ wide there's a bit of problem there but i know with old satellite tv you can drop lower the bandwidth to 1 Mhz and below a touch and still make out the image all colour is lost of cause and detail drops as well
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Off Topic