Underwater submersible lighting

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Underwater submersible lighting

Postby moderator » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:33 pm

In my interesting new job I'm writing some autonomous navigation and image detection software for an underwater submersible (for the CSIRO, my new employer). It's pretty interesting stuff, and I've just figured an algorithm to allow the particular goals of my section of this work to be achieved.

For this task I've requested a light source be added to the submersible so that the cameras can have a standardised light against which images can be 'normalised'. This is due to the attenuation of light at depth and the need to restore 'colour' before automatic classification of benthic (=seafloor) types.

Given my recent experience building a LED array for my televisor, I even felt brave enough to put up my hand and say that I'd work out everything needed for this light source! I'm probably a bit out of my depth (pun intended) here, and I'm aware that I need to know the characteristics of the camera, etc. But at least I know how to put together an array of LEDs and calculate their power requirement.

Now I'm going to have to look at the other end, and learn a bit about what comes out, dispersion, transmission through water (we're probably only needing to light reliably to 5m away), duration of pulse, camera characteristics, etc.

I'll ask questions here, if the need arises. Do any of our members, I wonder, have experience calculating lighting requirements for cameras?

Cheers
A
Site Admin

Postby M3DVQ » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:42 pm

not a reply I'm afraid, but if someone comes up with a formula... :)

I'm interested in building an array of IR diodes to act as an IR illuminator for a near infra red night vision camera system. (got the camera sorted, now I just need something for it to 'see'!)
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Return to Off Topic