Forum and Journal Collaboration

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Postby AncientBrit » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:12 pm

Steve,

I've had no contact with Kevin since and sadly he's not a member of this forum.

I often wonder about the protocol of e-mailing people and letting them know of this web site.

Perhaps a bit too pushy?

Regards,

Graham
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:57 pm

AncientBrit wrote:Perhaps a bit too pushy? Graham

There is a rather tenuous link on the NBTVA website, this forum was due to be mentioned at the convention and it appears it was, but that two months ago. Thus far nothing has happened to my knowledge.

I would venture to say that less than last year has been reported on this forum regarding the convention. This year only Volker has posted a few pictures and Dave Moll has reported the gist of the AGM. That's not a criticism, just an observation.

The late Doug Pitt and now Jerermy Jago were/are always crying out for material for the newsletter, there's bucket-loads of it here.

I don't understand.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby AncientBrit » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:47 pm

>Steve,

The late Doug Pitt and now Jerermy Jago were/are always crying out for material for the newsletter, there's bucket-loads of it here.

I agree, I mentioned this to Jeremy in an e-mail a few days ago.

Regards,

Graham
AncientBrit

Postby Viewmaster » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 am

I too spoke to Jeremy recently. He seems rather worried about 'lifting' other folks work without prior permission...
...If he copies this letter I'm gonna sue 'im fer a fiver! :lol:

Maybe the answer is for us all to sign away our rights of copyright to anything copied into the newsletter?
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Viewmaster wrote:I too spoke to Jeremy recently. He seems rather worried about 'lifting' other folks work without prior permission...Albert.

I wouldn't mind if Jeremy 'lifted' anything that I posted here, but, and it is a big but, I would insist that my permission was sought and I would insist that a copy of exactly how was to appear in the newsletter was sent to me prior to publication for me to proof read.

Hence the 'blue' note at the end of my 48-line display item posted on this forum.

This is not an unreasonable request, the BATC are happy to do so and CQTV is also compiled in peoples spare time.

There is no excuse in not being able to contact me, I'm on this forum virtually every day and my e-mail address is on the NBTVA web-site.

I know that sounds a bit 'strong', but I have my reasons, and I'm certainly NOT going to sign away my copyright.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Klaas Robers » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:14 pm

And that exactly is the reason that Jermy is not searching for stuff for the Newsletter on this Forum. So no nagging about the fact that amost nothing discussed on this Forum is seen in the Newsletter.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:39 pm

Klaas Robers wrote:And that exactly is the reason that Jermy is not searching for stuff for the Newsletter on this Forum.

That I don't quite understand. As my 'blue' note says, "This will not unreasonably be withheld, but must be an intact and unaltered version of the copy above." Which as any author or contributor will agree is well within their rights. Negotiation between editor and author might be required which is quite normal. But in my experience there has never been any negotiation.

If the NBTVA wish their membership to expand and draw on external resources they need to be somewhat more respectful of the time and effort the author puts into pulling the item together, ensuring accuracy such that what is published is a true and faithful reproduction of the contributors submission. Even if it is erroneous.

Have a look at Kevin Hadfield's inspirational item in Vol. 30 No. 4. It's a mess.

If the BATC can get it right, why not the NBTVA?

Yes, I'm critical, but I think justly so.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby AncientBrit » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:07 pm

Well I don't advocate a wholesale "lifting" of material from this forum.

But what I do think useful is a retrospective to be published in NBTVA following the conclusion of an interesting thread here.

For instance....
The recent collaboration between Steve A and Steve O on PWM driving Luxeons

or
Chris Long's observations on early NBTV ideas now being re-visited.

These would be commissioned articles (but not paid!).
The editor could indicate the topic and range and place a modest limit on copy length, say the equivalent of 2 pages of A4, so as to reduce the burden on the contributor.

Copy should be in electronic format so prevent typos.

I still think the NBTVA newsletter has a role to perform as a permanent record of current NBTV activities.

I am conscious that this forum exists only as long as Andrew feeds the slot meter. Or as long as the service provider is in business.

Having thrown a grenade inot the proceedings and been grossly off topic I shall now retire......

Graham
AncientBrit

Postby Andrew Davie » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:49 pm

AncientBrit wrote:I am conscious that this forum exists only as long as Andrew feeds the slot meter. Or as long as the service provider is in business.

I have backups of the whole database which I am happy to share with any interested party. Just send me a request. As to the service provider and feeding the slot meter, I will be quite happy to cede ownership and running duties to either the NBTVA (which personally I don't actually think is a good idea but if the members so request it, then I'll do it), or to a consortium prepared to run it. My opinion is that it's running OK, as is, but I'm definitely wary of becoming the ogre owner who feels some sort of power through having such a valuable resource under my evil grasp.

As to the journal and use of material, I think it is we who should make the effort. We are many, the journal editor(s) are few. If we have an interesting subject on the forums, why don't we collectively massage it into something we'd like to see published. Polish it and send it off. We could point out that we have HEAPS of material, and we'd like to continue such contributions -- but that our conditions are that the material we submit is published unaltered. That way we could be solely responsible for errors, ensure copyright issues, etc., and of course reduce the workload for the journal editors. And as an extra bonus we would of course be able to promote the forum.

Cheers
A
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby AncientBrit » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:11 am

No Andrew it was not my intention to label you as the evil ogre, far from it!!

The point I was making was it's through your support that we continue here, and long may it remain so. Your generosity is appreciated!

I see this and the NBTVA newletter as complementary.

Kind regards,

Graham
AncientBrit

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:53 am

Andrew Davie wrote:I will be quite happy to cede ownership and running duties to either the NBTVA (which personally I don't actually think is a good idea)

And with that I cannot agree more.

Andrew Davie wrote:As to the journal and use of material, I think it is we who should make the effort. We are many, the journal editor(s) are few.

My 48-line display item is in a pdf format, A4, it just needs printing, what could be simpler? I might need to edit the 'blue' note at the end, but that's no hassle.

Andrew Davie wrote:If we have an interesting subject on the forums, why don't we collectively massage it into something we'd like to see published. Polish it and send it off. We could point out that we have HEAPS of material, and we'd like to continue such contributions -- but that our conditions are that the material we submit is published unaltered. That way we could be solely responsible for errors, ensure copyright issues, etc

I would be quite happy to pull the PWM Luxeon item together into a cohesive whole for inclusion in the newsletter with a some input from Steve O, after all he did all the donkey work. A joint authorship would be fine. But only under the conditions I have stipulated for the newsletter which I don't think are unreasonable.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:49 pm

AncientBrit wrote:Copy should be in electronic format so prevent typos. Graham

All the items I submitted were in electronic format, yet they were still messed up! Nanoseconds got turned into milliseconds, microseconds into seconds, just a minor error of a million to one! In the end I resorted to doing this....

...IC102a is a monostable with a duration of 12µs (microseconds) and triggers...

The red bit to be deleted in the process of 'pasting up'. It didn't make any difference.

Also there were omissions...

....the waveform is shown in Fig. 2...

Yet there was no Fig. 2, it wasn't there.

So perhaps now the reasons I have asked for a copy in advance of publication are understood.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Panrock » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:06 am

Steve Anderson wrote:I would be quite happy to pull the PWM Luxeon item together into a cohesive whole for inclusion in the newsletter with a some input from Steve O, after all he did all the donkey work.

Always at your service.

But don't forget this will hopefully be a two-parter.... having been pleasantly 'lumbered' with an over-engineered video chain good for 80 lines but loafing along at just 30, I now look forward to assisting you with Part II: "Super-Mechanical-NBTV with Aperture Correction" :lol:

Steve O
Panrock

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:49 pm

Panrock wrote:I now look forward to assisting you with Part II: "Super-Mechanical-NBTV with Aperture Correction" :lol: Steve O

AncientBrit wrote:These would be commissioned articles (but not paid!).

Steve, before we put any time and effort into firstly producing an article regarding the PWM Luxeon display and the PMT camera, I would like to know if they might be interested in it. The same would apply to a follow-up on aperture correction for this combination.

I've had no contact as a result of the 48-line display item, but as it's not mechanical perhaps they're not interested.

Graham, the commissioning idea is quite a valid one. One I would be interested in following. Give me a subject, and I'll get on with it. Bearing in mind that I'm not really any good with things that move!

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby AncientBrit » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:51 pm

>Steve A, Steve O.

The reason I mentioned the Luxeon project as a possible subject was because I think it emphasises the complementary nature of this forum and the newsletter.

If the forum facility had not existed I doubt whether your circuit development would have moved at the pace it did, leading to a technically competent conclusion.

And it provided many forum users with a near-daily and entertaining update. Well done the pair of you!
(No truth to the rumour you are issuing is as a DVD?)

I feel your technical success merits a write up, albeit a summary, and I think that's where the NBTVA newsletter comes into its own.

But...I'm not the editor. I have suggested this subject to Jeremy and it's up to him to follow up if he chooses.

And of course to you two guys if you can spend some time putting it together.

And with that I'll butt out as I believe the Americans say.....

Kind regards,

Graham
AncientBrit

Next

Return to Off Topic