Berlin 'Scala' 1942, song and dance.

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Postby DrZarkov » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:12 am

From the USSR is also not much known about television history, except that they have bought RCA equipment in the late 1930s. But there was Lev Léon Theremin, who made a mechanical TV using mirrors for scanning. His system is said to have reached 100 lines in 1927, but it was only used by the KGB for observation, for the common people television was top secret. That's what Wikipedia knows about him.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:32 pm

chris_vk3aml wrote:Part of the lack of research into Asian developments could also be attributed to good old Anglo-Saxon xenophobia. You probably see examples of that on a daily basis there. Chris Long VK3AML.

This is well off-topic, but for what it's worth....

Yep, I look like an average western tourist to the locals that don't know me, (but I don't wear loud shirts or ridiculous shorts). One of the things that gets right up my nose is dual-pricing. You take the family to the Crocodile Farm for example, the entrance fee for a Thai national is 50 Baht, (US$1.40 approx.) the ticket is printed in Thai including the digits for the price.

For the Westerner it's 300 Baht (US$8.50) and the ticket is printed in English. Six times the price!

When I point this out and complain in their tongue they get embarrassed and somewhat sheepish. But it's the governments policy and that's that. So now I simply don't go anymore. Their loss.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby chris_vk3aml » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:26 pm

Interesting that xenophobia works both ways these days, Steve - two wrongs don't make a right!

As for Theremin, my understanding was that by 1927 he was working on his pioneering electronic musical instrument in New York, USA, and that he was filmed by the Fox Movietone Newsreel, there, in 1928. The clip may be seen on Youtube. A detailed film documentary on Theremin's work was produced by Channel 4 in 1991, "Theremin, An Electronic Odyssey", released by MGM video in USA.

So - Theremin's "TV development in USSR with 100 lines" is looking decidedly unlikely - like so many historical claims circulated on Internet as fact. 100 lines? NOBODY had attempted THAT definition in 1927! What was it that Joseph Goebbels said? "Repeat a thing often enough and it will be accepted as fact"!

Beware of "Wikipedia" - it's a deeply flawed intellectual concept. It confuses opinion and/or consensus with referenced fact. Documents and essays need to go through a sifting, editing, referencing and confirmation process via expert and qualified peer review before they acquire any weight.

That's precisely what Wikipedia lacks.

Chris Long VK3AML.
chris_vk3aml

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:14 am

chris_vk3aml wrote:Interesting that xenophobia works both ways these days, Steve - two wrongs don't make a right! Chris Long VK3AML.

Absolutely correct, but this is the world we live in. And in it we live.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Previous

Return to Off Topic