Need Advice on Restoring Watrerman "Pocketscope" f

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Need Advice on Restoring Watrerman "Pocketscope" f

Postby KG6KGG » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:35 am

Hi:

I don’t know if this is the proper place to post this question, but it could be NBTV related.

I have won an auction on Ebay to win an old Waterman S-10A “pocket” oscilloscope after several unsuccessful tries. I wanted this scope in particular since it has to be one of the simplest ones ever built and it is vacuum tube based. So I can “mess around” with an old scope with valves in it that is not too complex for even me to figure out. I hav elittle experience with vintage valve based gear though.

Anyway, what would be your recommendations on restoring this relic from 1947? According to the previous owner the CRT still lights up, but that’s all I know till it arrived here by surface post.

Should I think about replacing all the capacitors and getting the tubes tested? If I can find anyone that has a tube tested locally? I’m not contemplating having the scope calibrated once it is working.

I may want to add a “z-axis” to the circuit so that it could display NBTV images… that would interest me. Though with the 2 inch CRT I could build a bigger Nipkov disk!

Thanks
Dave – KG6KGG
Attachments
waterman.pdf
Waterman S-10 diagram
(121.65 KiB) Downloaded 440 times
Television? The word is half Greek, half Latin. No good can come of it.
C. P. Scott
KG6KGG
Research Scientist

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:19 pm

Oooppss..In relocating this thread somehow I made an error, it's continued in the thread 'Waterman 'scope for NBTV', sorry folks...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Off Topic