Tiny power source

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Tiny power source

Postby Panrock » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:41 am

Can anybody suggest a very cheap photodiode for the following application?

I'm thinking to use a string of them in photovoltaic mode to keep a small battery charged, rather like in a calculator.

Or have you any other ideas to produce an 'eternal' (self re-charging) power supply? Maybe there is exist pre-built 'calculator' power modules ?

The load is as yet unknown but won't be more than half a milliamp or so at three or four volts...

Just wondering... :)

Thanks,

Steve O
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby Lawnboy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:56 am

wouldnt a small solar cell seem easier to use than a string of photodiodes? or maybe i am missing the point...
Lawnboy
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Panrock » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:13 am

Thanks for your suggestion Lawnboy.

Yes it would, but as far as I can tell so far, the cost of solar cells is much greater. This device I'm developing has to be ultra-cheap to produce.
Panrock

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:04 pm

Panrock wrote:...as far as I can tell so far, the cost of solar cells is much greater. This device I'm developing has to be ultra-cheap to produce.

I would have suggested the same, if small ones are cheap enough to put in a two quid calculator they surely can't be that expensive? Don't bother with RS, Farnell or Maplin, go direct to the distributor of Chinese made solar cells.

You're unlikely to get anything even approaching 500uA from a photodiode, perhaps 5uA if you're lucky!...and you'll need several of them.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Panrock » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:33 pm

Or... because I'll be likely making dozens rather than thousands of these things, simply buy the two-quid calculators and strip them...

Steve_O
Panrock

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:27 pm

Panrock wrote:Or....simply buy the two-quid calculators and strip them...Steve_O

If that fits the budget including the time to do so then go for it! Assuming they meet your requirements.

What I have found is that you tell the distributor that you wish to do a 'pilot run' of say 25 for assessment and later say that the project was canceled or a change of design was implemented. This is quite normal. You can then do another 'pilot run' using the same devices but with a 'revamped' design. There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

A lot of my 'real work' is in prototypical devices where I only need a few but my client might wish to order thousands, this is true and the way forward in a design. Whatever you are pulling together maybe a hot seller, they just don't know. And presumably at this stage neither do you.

One of my clients has ordered 4.5 million serial EEPROMs as a consequence of one of my designs over the past two years or so. Made in China, and the market? China.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Off Topic