Britains' oldest working non-mechanical TV?

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Britains' oldest working non-mechanical TV?

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:24 pm

Found on the Beebs' web-site...is it Britains' oldest working non-mechanical TV? Somehow I think a few might beg to differ.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8159774.stm

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:15 pm

It wouldn't have been so bad (albeit probably wrong) if they had said it was the oldest "non-mechanical TV" rather than just TV...

Not even a mention that the set has a switch on it to receive 240 line television from Baird's system from the same period...
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:34 pm

gary wrote:....if they had said it was the oldest "non-mechanical TV" rather than just TV....

Probably the result of heavy-handed editing, what was shot might have resulted in an hours worth of material which was chopped up for a few minutes worth of results. Very common.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Dave Moll » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:52 am

gary wrote:Not even a mention that the set has a switch on it to receive 240 line television from Baird's system from the same period...

Actually, I understand from Jeffrey (the owner of the set) that the switch is not electrically connected!
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby gary » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:57 am

Dave Moll wrote:
gary wrote:Not even a mention that the set has a switch on it to receive 240 line television from Baird's system from the same period...

Actually, I understand from Jeffrey (the owner of the set) that the switch is not electrically connected!

True, which means it is not actually working either! ;-)

Any perceived criticism of Jeffrey was not intended, I was merely pointing out that the BBC News item was somewhat lacking (perhaps understandably) in precision.

It does seem common with these antique sets that whilst they have the 240/405 line switches, and that (presumably) the 240 line circuitry was originally present, it is generally not restored.

I asked Peter Scott about whether his HMV 901 set could replay a 240 line signal, to which he replied:

"There is no problem in adjusting the line / frame rates to 240 / 25 but my set doesn't have the additional circuitry for maintaining line rate through frame synchs and I don't have a source of Baird standard signals. It would be nice to try it though."

So I have been thinking about how 240 Baird might be created (cheaply) with a PC - in fact creating it is easy enough but playing out is the problem until they bring out 1.92 MHz (est.) sound cards ;-)

There is some talk on the net that some PC TV Capture/Output cards can be modified to suit - anyone know anything about this?
gary

Postby DrZarkov » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:10 pm

Yes, there is such a project: http://www.g1jbg.co.uk/fothtv.htm
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Return to Off Topic