Cheap Digital Microscope

For sale and wanted ads, notices of where to find items of interest, club marketplace, and pointers to anything of interest to those wanting to buy or sell NBTV-related items.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Cheap Digital Microscope

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:06 pm

This looks like a nice cheap toy for us that need glasses the visually challenged on this front .

http://www.banggood.com/USB-8-LED-500X- ... vAodCAgK9g

Suppose it would be good for checking circuit boards ,soldering mistakes ,tiny electronic component marking.....diodes zener diodes ! i push the limits of my eyes with glasses trying to work out the markings on them .
Attachments
17223665447408578357.jpg
17223665447408578357.jpg (59.04 KiB) Viewed 15128 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Cheap Digital Microscope

Postby gary » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:18 pm

This is a video of what bites the living daylights out of me every spring (actually they are early this year) using my "cheap USB microscope":

tick3.avi
(1.89 MiB) Downloaded 709 times

Notice the little bugger had a good feed on my blood...

Here's another:

tick4.avi
(4.88 MiB) Downloaded 696 times

Edit:
Note these precede the arrival of the red belly black snakes and the copperheads...
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:31 pm

It seems impossible they could make something that performs that well at that price - I'm assuming that the two .avi's were make with this 14-buck product. If so I'll definitely be ordering one.

Even at that price someone's still making a profit.

Steve A.

Just noticed the 'expiry date' is tomorrow...maybe the website has an update on that...
Steve Anderson

Postby gary » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:42 pm

No! not this one - mine is a cheap Aldi version I have had for a few years - cost about $30

Sorry for the confusion, OTOH I would be very confident this unit would perform similarly - they are just cheap USB cameras with cheap lenses - but very handy for getting splinters out of your fingers as you get older (I really should stop scratching my head).
Attachments
usb microscope.jpg
(754.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
usb microscope-small.jpg
usb microscope-small.jpg (73.23 KiB) Viewed 15115 times
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:31 pm

Thats a nasty beasty Gary ,one good thing about melbourne i have never seen a flea or tick since moving down here ! whats the range of the aldi version ?
I came across this microscope thinking this thing could come in useful ,every thing is so small these days i just use magnifying reading glasses and i do have these Magnifier Visors with plug in lenses....i have to use those in private or i get picked on evey time :(
Attachments
Head-font-b-Visor-b-font-font-b-Magnifying-b-font-Glasses-with-LED-Light.jpg
Head-font-b-Visor-b-font-font-b-Magnifying-b-font-Glasses-with-LED-Light.jpg (30.43 KiB) Viewed 15112 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:04 pm

10x-60x-200x

Yes I use the visors too, however sometimes they just aren't good enough.

Yes the ticks are just a fact of country life, but so far they only seem to be tick mites, still a worry though as it is now a proven fact that Lyme(-like) disease exists in Australia.
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:46 pm

gary wrote:No! not this one - Sorry for the confusion.

No problem, all understood now.

Though one reviewer of the $14 microscope did say, "The picture on your monitor has a max resolution of 640 x 480. That's also what the driver says and that is to my opinion 0.3 MP." That possibly is in the preview mode and perhaps it switches to a higher resolution if you take a still...it's not that clear in the description.

Interesting to note that the next model up the food-chain ($50) is described by the vendor as, "Still Image Capture Resolution : 1600x1200(2M Pixel), 1280x960(1.3M Pixel), 800x600, 640x480." and "Video Capture Resolution : 640x480."...at a frame rate of 30FPS, very similar to my 10-year old web-cam. The entirely reasonable 1600x1200 stills would be fine for most applications, inclusion in published articles for example.

Generally they've got a lot of interesting items for sale with some decent discounts for quantity. I spent a good couple of hours wandering around the website. A good find.

...not heard of the "Banana Pi" before...can't wait for the "Passionfruit Pi"...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Return to Marketplace