A rant

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Postby dominicbeesley » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:42 am

M3DVQ wrote:
dominicbeesley wrote:what format are books printed in, why do people think that is

portrait

You betcha!

M3DVQ wrote:
dominicbeesley wrote:why do they make monitors the wrong way round...because most consumers are ****ing idiots!

they are the right way round for watching videos and playing computer games... can you imagine the size of the black bars watching a 16:10 broadcast on a 10:16 screen :)

A so all those thousands of people I see through office windows are just watching films and playing games! I wondered what they were all doing as nothing seems to be produced at the end of it all!

M3DVQ wrote:
dominicbeesley wrote:digital TV is better quality

garbage in garbage out.
The problem with the low quality digital channels is that they are broadcasting a heavily compressed low quality picture, this isn't the fault of "digital" :p

(I too used to moan about digital like that but I've stopped now on the grounds that the DVB-T BBC1 signal is an order of magnitude better picture quality than the Analogue version)

Unless anything in the scene moves...or a car goes past...or its raining...or the washing machine is on...Well alright I occasionally watch it but only when the local analogue transmitter is on the blink which at the moment seems to be almost continuously. I'm sure its all part of the black propaganda being perpetrated against analogue!

M3DVQ wrote:Top notch ranting though, I especially like the "twitter..." at the end. Enough said there! :)

Thanks! I can go on like that for hours. I'm not even forty yet and I've turned into a slightly more misanthropic version of a synthesis of my father, Tony Hancock and Rigsby...

Dom
dominicbeesley
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Lowtone » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:24 am

Compression on digital is the worst thing ever :(
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby gary » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:32 am

dominicbeesley wrote:and I've turned into a slightly more misanthropic version of a synthesis of my father, Tony Hancock and Rigsby...
Dom

Ok, ok, your father - most people have or have had one of those, Tony Hancock - comedic genius, and a great example of why you should never visit Australia, especially if you are already depressed, but who on earth is Rigsby???

(or am I showing my age? - yes I'm already a fully paid up member of THAT club ;-))
gary

Postby M3DVQ » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:20 am

gary wrote:Ok, ok, your father - most people have or have had one of those, Tony Hancock - comedic genius, and a great example of why you should never visit Australia, especially if you are already depressed, but who on earth is Rigsby???

this Rigsby? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_Damp#Rigsby
M3DVQ

Postby gary » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:32 am

Ah, hasn't been shown on Aussie TV I'm pretty sure...
gary

Postby dominicbeesley » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:47 am

Sorry that was maybe a bit of a UK only reference - Rigsby was the main reactionary, sexist, racist, tight-fisted, miserable, old fart character in a 1970s situation comedy called "Rising Damp", played by comic actor Leonard Rossiter. Quite dated now but still brings a smile...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeUkZybC ... re=related

Dom
dominicbeesley
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby gary » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:55 am

He certainly sounds my kind of guy - will have a look, cheers.

Edit:Oh look - Richard Beckinsale from Porridge...
gary

Postby Lowtone » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:22 pm

r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone

Previous

Return to Off Topic