My valve collection found yippie

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

My valve collection found yippie

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:34 am

Hi at last found my valve collection Garys Slow scan tv scan finally got me to do a hunt !

Trouble with most of the valves are most of or all the markings are rubbed off them i have an idea what most do and the type of valve it is ,i think i am lucky with garys electronics Australia SSTV circuit i am pretty sure i have the ones needed .

I know both CRTs are not P7's but i wouldn't mind trying one of them for this ..

I also have the idea since Steve asked about mechancial slow scan tv and think it should still be done via a phosphor.
And viewing a utube video on phosphor type paint this fellow doing experiments with leds and the paint was saying perhaps you could do a fax machine via a drum painted with the paint and have a led do the modulating ...i am thinking a vertical drum spinning horizontal for the line scanning and the led moving down slow...for this i would use a dvd cd player insides the little motor that drive the laser led is geared and on 2 arms to move up and down so just a matter of controling this with the reset speed back to the start position ...slow scan tv 8s the reset of the led at the finish of the scan to the start position would be fast enough .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfpNQMQf_ts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABjrbwy9YPk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaJeLafvdBw

Again on the phosphor i was also thinking of increasing the phosphor of a fast phosphor crt by placing a plastic sheet infront of the tube painted with the glow paint if i was brave enough and knew it would work i would just paint the front of the crt !

Also do any of you know what this little crt is i'd like to find a schematic of both the little one has no number its rubbed off ..i can test and guess whats what init but no idea correct voltages same gos for the other but i have the number for that one its in the photo .
Attachments
IMG_0137.JPG
arrrr happy
IMG_0137.JPG (86.83 KiB) Viewed 6112 times
IMG_0138.JPG
mostly the little valves
IMG_0138.JPG (159.53 KiB) Viewed 6112 times
IMG_0139.JPG
The big buggers
IMG_0139.JPG (145.87 KiB) Viewed 6112 times
IMG_0140.JPG
This CRT no number
IMG_0140.JPG (72.3 KiB) Viewed 6112 times
IMG_0142.JPG
any idea ?
IMG_0142.JPG (59.15 KiB) Viewed 6112 times
IMG_0143.JPG
After tube info on both crts if any one knows
IMG_0143.JPG (69.91 KiB) Viewed 6112 times
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

OFF-TOPIC:

Postby M3DVQ » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:08 pm

I don't want to hijack this thread but since it will almost certainly be read by all the "tube heads" on the forum I just wanted to say (since all those valves reminded me)

I've got a few odd valves, large ceramic valve holders, and even an unused retaining harness thingy in it's original packaging if anyone collects such things.
I'll never use them but I can't bring myself to throw stuff like that away, so if anyone wants them and is going to the convention drop me a PM and I can wrap them up and put them on the pile of stuff to bring.
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:12 pm

Not wishing to spill any beans, I'll be in the UK tomorrow, whether I make it to the convention has yet to be seen.

But if no other 'Tube-Head' snaffles said items, I'm sure to be interested...

Steve A(nalogue).
Steve Anderson

Postby M3DVQ » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:15 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Not wishing to spill any beans, I'll be in the UK tomorrow, whether I make it to the convention has yet to be seen.

But if no other 'Tube-Head' snaffles said items, I'm sure to be interested...

Steve A(nalogue).

There are only a handful, I'll have to dig them out from under the other boxes of "junk" :)
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:35 pm

Harry, of those two CRTs you have I would think the older round-face one is going to be the most useful as far as a NBTV display is concerned. The TEK one will probably require several kv to get it going and maybe it has an internal graticule which will only get in the way.

If you could measure the diameter if the screen (the full bulb width to the nearest mm) of the circular faced one and the length of the tube from screen to end of the socket key-way that will help. Plus a shot of the pins on the base. At first glance I thought of a 2AP1, but that depends on how big your hands are! Also, is there a side-contact somewhere near the screen?

It's likely to be a US type of CRT as for reasons unknown Oz in this respect is usually very US-centric.

Steve A.

P.S. I'm going to be out of contact for a few days until I get set up in the UK.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:25 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Harry, of those two CRTs you have I would think the older round-face one is going to be the most useful as far as a NBTV display is concerned. The TEK one will probably require several kv to get it going and maybe it has an internal graticule which will only get in the way.

If you could measure the diameter if the screen (the full bulb width to the nearest mm) of the circular faced one and the length of the tube from screen to end of the socket key-way that will help. Plus a shot of the pins on the base. At first glance I thought of a 2AP1, but that depends on how big your hands are! Also, is there a side-contact somewhere near the screen?

It's likely to be a US type of CRT as for reasons unknown Oz in this respect is usually very US-centric.

Steve A.

P.S. I'm going to be out of contact for a few days until I get set up in the UK.

Hi Steve

I will do so ! i will give you the numbers tomorrow get the tape measure out !
i would too rather use the smaller one it looks easier to hook up ...i had forgotton i had that ..i used to have 2 i don't remember what happened to that one but do recall trying to power one of them up but in those days i had little idea how to focus them and such must be 30 years old in my hands at least.

No side Anode connection Steve on that one BTW the old scope does have it which was new to me .

Thanks for the help on this when you can enjoy the hoilday ? Hope you make it to the convention make every one take lots of photos and get their NBTV camcorders out !
Harry Dalek

Return to Off Topic