Bulbs and Lamps

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Bulbs and Lamps

Postby Colin-JB » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:24 pm

I had an idea I wanted to try regarding NBTV projection. One of the first things I wanted to try was seeing if I could project a standard 35mm negative using a lens I picked up on Ebay. To do this I needed a really bright light so I looked towards my old 8mm film projector. Of course it hasn't been used in a while and the bulb had blown. I have some white LED's and I figured that maybe I could rig one of those into the projector just to see if is was bright enough whilst I sourced the real thing. However, as I have learned in the past, LED's have a + and a -.

So I have a couple of questions, how can I work out which connector on the projector is + and which one is - to put a suitable LED in and what problems might occur if the Voltage of the LED is lower/higher than the original bulb?

Colin-JB
Colin-JB
Laboratory Assistant

Postby Lowtone » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:03 am

I don't know but i want to know the answer too :lol:
I have a super 8 projector but the lamp is not dead yet, but maybe a LED lamp would be better.
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Re: Bulbs and Lamps

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:29 pm

Colin-JB wrote:I had an idea I wanted to try regarding NBTV projection. One of the first things I wanted to try was seeing if I could project a standard 35mm negative using a lens I picked up on Ebay. To do this I needed a really bright light so I looked towards my old 8mm film projector. Of course it hasn't been used in a while and the bulb had blown. I have some white LED's and I figured that maybe I could rig one of those into the projector just to see if is was bright enough whilst I sourced the real thing. However, as I have learned in the past, LED's have a + and a -.

So I have a couple of questions, how can I work out which connector on the projector is + and which one is - to put a suitable LED in and what problems might occur if the Voltage of the LED is lower/higher than the original bulb?

Colin-JB

Hi colin

I have been thinking of this as well .

I did just buy 2 lasers one a blue and one a green laser both 50mv the green i have tried with out the lens and its light is like a really really bright torch

With out the lens it or it can be screw adjusted in and out of focus

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWNX:IT

Thats the blue one i have just did a quick test on my sstv project saves me focusing but would like the focus of the dot smaller ..any way look for the green version both the lens comes off via the case unscrews .

I am sure some projection could be done with these buggers trouble is the colour ! good for just nbtv projects but flim projecting wonder it i mixed those 2 with my red one i would get white light mmmmm

For the NBTV side for the laser have to pwm them 2 circuits are on the forum one is steves .

You might like to try a few luxeons they are getting cheap on ebay as well lucky for me in Austraila we are close to china so the seamail free post is not to long.

If you just want to project that 8mm flim or 35mm slide my old 16mm flim projector light went and i just used one of those 240v down lights in the reflecting case you can buy any where that worked perhaps half as good as the giant light that was in it before ...but remember that gives off heat my flim was moving so dont have it to close to the flim when stopped .......melt is all i can say but i think you are just using the old projector so that should be ok.

you can not just connect up the led or leds to the projector power supply thats 240v or what ever you lot use up over !!!!

could do that with the 240v downlight but remember buy the 240v version not the 12v ones !

Then its just a matter of mounting and connecting it safely ...lots of ways of doing it ...good luck Colin
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Bulbs and Lamps

Postby Alan » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:10 pm

Beware!
My dual (Std8 and S8) projector has an AC feed to the lamp! There is a switch that puts an R in series when setting up to prevent burning the film in the gate. Check it out.

Alan.
Alan
Laboratory Assistant

Postby Lowtone » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:03 am

Can a LED light can burn a super 8mm film ? :(
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby DrZarkov » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:25 pm

An LED can't burn a Super8 film. And an LED should be bright enough for a projector. As a child I had this projector, it used a common bicycle lamp, which is much less bright than a Luxeon LED.
My current Super 8 projector does not work if the bulb is broken or missing, and of course it runs on 230 V. If your projector does work without the bulb, you should remove the socket and connect to the wires leading to it a small transformator for the LED.

PS: I've copied some old movies from the early 1980s to DVD using my projector and a refelcting mirror screen. I've forgoten how bad Super 8 is looking. Back in time I thought it was looking good compared to VHS. VHS now seems completely unacceptable if it is connected to a modern HDTV TV-set...
Attachments
dux-kino-68.jpg
dux-kino-68.jpg (44.95 KiB) Viewed 6395 times
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Return to Off Topic