copyright issues?

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

copyright issues?

Postby Lawnboy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:41 pm

i was going to post an article from the "Journal of the Royal Society of Arts" in the Resources section, but wasnt sure on the copyright status. the article itself was published in 1934, but the copy that i have came from a book. at the bottom of each page it lists the copyright of the publisher of the book (which was published in 2005) and the copyright from the Royal Society of the Arts. is it ok to post this? can i just crop out the copyright info when i scan it?? :wink:
Lawnboy
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Re: copyright issues?

Postby Andrew Davie » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 pm

Lawnboy wrote:i was going to post an article from the "Journal of the Royal Society of Arts" in the Resources section, but wasnt sure on the copyright status. the article itself was published in 1934, but the copy that i have came from a book. at the bottom of each page it lists the copyright of the publisher of the book (which was published in 2005) and the copyright from the Royal Society of the Arts. is it ok to post this? can i just crop out the copyright info when i scan it?? :wink:

No, I can't see this as a reasonable thing to do. I suggest writing to the copyright holder and requesting that you post an extract on this site. You can also point us to the original article and/or book so we can find it ourselves. But if it's explicitly copyrighted and you post it without the copyright holder's permission then I'd probably have to delete it.

Having said that, I find it hard to believe that a book publisher has somehow bought the copyright to a 1934 publication. It would be interesting to see if they really DO hold the copyright, or are just claiming to.

Cheers
A
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Lawnboy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:58 pm

wow, i didnt think that it was possible to "re-copyright" (for lack of the proper term) something that was published so long ago and that really should be in the public domain by now. but once again it seems that things are not as straightforward as they seem.
Lawnboy
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Return to Off Topic