NBTV Newsletter

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Postby M3DVQ » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:14 am

Steve Anderson wrote:
M3DVQ wrote:Something's got to be sorted out as we've had a big argument about it at the AGM...

Errr, well, I wasn't aware of any 'argument'

Well, maybe "argument" is too strong a word... A long fruitless discussion that goes round in circles for half an hour, then whatever conclusion is reached is forgotten by the next April and we start again from square one ;)

Worrying that I'm coming off a bit "anti-establishment" here, that's not my intention... Just reporting it as I see it. For such a comparatively simple issue it seems to be very hard to sort out! :?
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:28 am

M3DVQ wrote: A long fruitless discussion that goes round in circles...

I don't understand what there is to discuss...the back issues of the newsletter are now distributed on a CD-ROM, no-one seems to have an issue with that...and I have purchased a copy.

Quite rightly it is asked that copies and/or distribution is not made and I would like to think that the membership is mature enough to understand the reasons behind this...

As Americans would say, "Where's the beef?" It's so much simpler for Jeremy to push the "Send to Group" button in a browser or e-mail program. OK, the printed version will still be requested by some, but it would reduce the costs and workload.

It defies me.

Steve A.

P.S. I'm quite happy to leave to fees where they are...at 7.50 a year...surely that's peanuts...
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Dave Moll » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:44 am

Steve Anderson wrote:I might add to those not living in a tropical climate, there is no such thing as a waterproof mail-box.

Mail is fine once it has come through my door (what we call letterboxes in the UK are usually just a slit, with a flap, in the front door - rather than a box out in the weather). It's the postie's mailbag that tends to collect rain for the purpose of turning those precious mail items into pulp.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby M3DVQ » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:50 am

Steve Anderson wrote:
M3DVQ wrote: A long fruitless discussion that goes round in circles...

I don't understand what there is to discuss...

Quite :p

I await the newsletter with interest. :)
M3DVQ

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:09 pm

Ditto, likewise...
Steve Anderson

electronic or hard copy news letter

Postby grahamhunt » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:10 am

surely the type of delivery is not the point the problem appears to be lack of content unless we submit some copy the news letter will not appear in either format it may be better to save some of the articals on the forum to appear in the news letter first and then open it for discussion on the forum :?: :roll:
grahamhunt
Master Craftsman

Re: electronic or hard copy news letter

Postby gary » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:18 am

grahamhunt wrote:surely the type of delivery is not the point the problem appears to be lack of content unless we submit some copy the news letter will not appear in either format it may be better to save some of the articals on the forum to appear in the news letter first and then open it for discussion on the forum :?: :roll:

Well the problem of type of delivery is a side issue to this thread, and your point about the problem being lack of material is well made and accepted.

However the type of delivery is a legitimate problem in it's own right, but I suppose it is much more of a problem for us overseas members as (and I'll speak just for my self here as every ones exact situation is different) newsletters are generally received several weeks after UK based members, sometimes not at all (infrequently), and all too often damaged by rain.

To draw a not too long a bow, if Jeremy's plan to publish the next newsletter early takes place, and the worst delivery time I have experienced occurs for this current newsletter, members in the UK may be reading the next newsletter before I lay eyes on this one.

Having said that I do understand the reluctance of some members to go all digital, and that *reducing* the hardcopy count may not be economical (although retaining the present fee structure should cover that), so I can handle the present situation if necessary, as receiving that newsletter, whenever it gets here, is always a highlight (I know sad isn't it? ;-))

One more thing I would like to add to the mix however, I DO wish they could keep us informed about the status of the newsletter publication either by the official website (as they used to do) or this forum as I can never otherwise tell whether it's just late or gone astray again, and I hate nagging people via email etc. as they are generally busy enough.
gary

Postby M3DVQ » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:45 am

gary wrote:Having said that I do understand the reluctance of some members to go all digital, and that *reducing* the hardcopy count may not be economical (although retaining the present fee structure should cover that), so I can handle the present situation if necessary, as receiving that newsletter, whenever it gets here, is always a highlight (I know sad isn't it? ;-))

Surely the simplest solution would just be to leave things exactly how they are currently but also place the PDF copy of the current newsletter on the members only section of the website so that anyone who wants an electronic copy can have it. Anyone of a technophobic bent can simply ignore it...
At the convention it always seems to be made overcomplicated as people start talking about "cyber memberships" and suchlike, and the PDF newsletter issue gets dragged into the discussion of subs etc which just muddies the water.
M3DVQ

Postby gary » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:09 pm

M3DVQ wrote:Surely the simplest solution would just be to leave things exactly how they are currently but also place the PDF copy of the current newsletter on the members only section of the website so that anyone who wants an electronic copy can have it.

Sure, that's basically what I meant when I wrote "although retaining the present fee structure" - the cost of a distributed hardcopy is still covered whether it's required by *all* members or not. If it's simpler to not have an "opt out" choice of hardcopy that's fine.
Last edited by gary on Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:31 pm

Going back to those grim dark days before the existence of the Internet one would have to patiently wait until a late issue of the newsletter arrived or you made a telephone inquiry. Costly when you're on the other side of the planet and you have to be careful not to call the other party when it's 3 AM where they are!

Now I have to agree with Gary, I too don't like hassling anybody by sending an e-mail asking, "Where's the Newsletter?" Jeremy has got enough to do already. But if I'm sending him an e-mail anyway for other reasons I'll append that question, though couched in slightly different terms. Then I report back here if there's any news. (See above).

There is the problem to those overseas members who receive 'soggy copies', it appears that the introduction of the plastic wrapper has largely solved it. But as I have mentioned before, the first thing I do is scan the printed copy, ten minutes later it's in the bin. What a waste of effort and resources!

The newsletter is compiled electronically so there's no real additional work for the likes of Jeremy to send out a batch e-mail with a .pdf attached, and he agrees.

In a recent e-mail Jeremy points out (as I have in the past) that four posting per year to where I am actually exceeds the subs that I pay. He goes on to say that the largest cost regarding the newsletter is not the compilation of it, not the printing (even nice and glossy and in colour now), but postage.

So it is me that's being subsidized by other members which is rather silly. An electronic copy costs zero apart from ISP fees which we all have already, no change.

With this 'Electronic Newsletter' it would redress the current imbalance of costs to the club for my membership. If I really wanted the printed version then a simple recalculation of the costs, an increase, needs to be done.

The matter of costs/fees. The BATC has a two-tier system for membership fees and the manner of delivering their magazine, CQTV. In the UK (I believe) it costs 4.00 pounds per annum for an e-mailed .pdf version and 15 quid for the printed version.

I'm not advocating that arrangement for the newsletter, I'm content to leave the fees where they are thus giving the club some income so that there's cash to refund costs to busy members who organize the annual convention for example.

Anyway, all of the above should be considered speculative, we'll just have to await the impending issue.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:50 pm

A very different problem yet related to the above is the critical (Jeremy's word) lack of content for the newsletter.

The reason this issue is late is for this reason in the first instance, now it appears there's a log-jam at the printer and the mailer.

But no content, no newsletter. An Editor can only call on re-printing articles from other sources so much without the danger of repetition or simply an exhausted supply.

So again, on Jeremy's behalf, I appeal for contributions. The contact information for contributions is usually on the inside front cover of recent newsletters. Snail-mail and e-mail data is there along with dog-and-bone info...remembering the time-zone if you do call.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

news letter

Postby grahamhunt » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:01 am

I am pleased to say my copy arrived this morning and the possibility of electronic distribution is mentioned in it I hope the deity responsible for overseas mail smiles on the far flung corners of the world to ensure they recieve their copies a.s.a.p
Graham Hunt :D
grahamhunt
Master Craftsman

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:25 pm

Thanks for the update Graham. That means it should be here before the weekend. Though those in Australia seem to receive theirs some two weeks after I do. No idea why.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby gary » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:48 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:There is the problem to those overseas members who receive 'soggy copies', it appears that the introduction of the plastic wrapper has largely solved it.

Dear me, I obviously didn't notice that! (I'm not known for my powers of observation :roll: )
gary

Postby Dave Moll » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:49 pm

I'm pleased to report that mine also arrived yesterday.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic