Watch the birdie machine!

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Watch the birdie machine!

Postby Viewmaster » Wed May 16, 2007 1:00 am

"I also note that there appears to be very little discussion/posts regarding mechanical scanners/cameras. Not a criticism, just an observation."
Steve A.
Well Steve, I'm building a combined camera/viewer as I said in a thread some time ago.... The camera amplifier head is complete and seems very 'lively!' and gives good output to light. .... Based on the circuit in the handbook using the domed sensor.

I had contemplated making it as the 30 line Baird system where the first and last 3 lines are greater distance apart but that is not possible if one is using the same disc and same set of holes for combined camera/viewer.

The power supply is complete as is the LED cluster. All the other circuits are being assembled.
The aluminium disc is cut out and the jig to put the holes in it is near complete...
Photos show a 64 tooth gear and its locking peg to index the disc through 11 1/4 degree for each hole. (using every other tooth on the gear).
Also shows the depth gauge and Mercer dial for hole positioning and a general view of the contraption!
It's all a bit Heath Robinson but he accomplished wonders! :D

Anyone else here building a camera?....maybe we could exchange 'snapshots' when our,"watch the birdie" equipment is complete....and working! :)
Albert.
Attachments
Picture 129.jpg
Picture 129.jpg (14.65 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
Picture 130.jpg
Picture 130.jpg (11.28 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
Picture 131.jpg
Picture 131.jpg (12.62 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby Phil Hunter » Wed May 16, 2007 9:25 am

Congratulations on your work to date, is it still housed in the historical speaker cabinet you spke of earlier ?
Phil Hunter
Mad Scientist

Postby Viewmaster » Wed May 16, 2007 5:55 pm

Phil Hunter wrote:Congratulations on your work to date, is it still housed in the historical speaker cabinet you spke of earlier ?

Yes, Phil, it will be housed in that old cabinet.

I am using a 12v DC motor and a 400 hertz sq wave generator (with the on/off modified to ape the output from the sync holes in a disc) to control the motor in association with the optical fork when it is used as a camera.
This will also supply the sync pulses for recording with the vision signal onto CD.

On CD playback of recordings the sq waves will be replaced by the sync pulses embedded in the vision as is normal practice with a viewer.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Return to Mechanical NBTV