New drum monitor sync testing

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

New drum monitor sync testing

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:48 pm

After a bit of testing different power transistors in my junk box i have come across one that works with my circuit idea to drive the motor .

It seems to work well, it works looks to go into sync from start up .

i am sure the club circuit works better than mine but i wanted to see if i could do it my self ,i will draw up the circuit its a little different to the one on a past post on off topic.

I don't have my small drum controlled from the large yet so thats the next step....i plan to use the little magnets and and hall effect device number of either depends what i can get away with...so i would rather 1 hall effect and the rest magnets ...

The avi is showing start up to sync and small drum speed control.
Attachments
Picture 2203.avi
large drum synced
(8.79 MiB) Downloaded 712 times
Picture 2273.jpg
Picture 2273.jpg (361.56 KiB) Viewed 9202 times
Picture 2274.jpg
Picture 2274.jpg (314.33 KiB) Viewed 9202 times
Picture 2248.jpg
Picture 2248.jpg (276.13 KiB) Viewed 9201 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Metallica Man X » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:56 pm

Nothing like making it work yourself....and doing it with random junk just makes it that much sweeter 8)

From just looking at the way the small drum is in there, it looks like it's gonna be a pain to work with it...
I mostly lurk..don't be surprised when I actually post!
Metallica Man X
Master Craftsman

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:54 pm

Metallica Man X wrote:Nothing like making it work yourself....and doing it with random junk just makes it that much sweeter 8)

From just looking at the way the small drum is in there, it looks like it's gonna be a pain to work with it...

Hi yes its good to use the junk for sure ,the transistor the one thats driving the motor on the large drum i think is a 2n3055...but not sure as the markings have gone from the case must of been an early part i collected in the 80's !
i was testing them transistors to see which would run the motor at full or near on that speed and what i could get away with then i could control it via the base..you really near a power trany for this smaller ones get hot and you loose speed to the motor.

The Hall effect sensor does not have to be as close as i have placed it on the drum but closer higher the signal you get ....

The Lm311 and NBTV sync triggers and resets 555 timer bistable each time a line starts...i don't really think it matters how many slits to magnets
apart from them having to be the same , it doesn't seem to matter in manual and i can see its the same now for the syncing it seems just to be a matter of motor speed than correct number of lines half the number of lines so on....get the speed right let the motor and your eyes work out the maths .

No the small drum is stepper motor controlled to control it in auto you need to do as Holtzmans the large drum controls the small Holtzmans used a different stepper motor to mine he did a light triggered mechanical flip flop to drive he's stepper.

Mines a different stepper motor type it sort of likes one pulse after the other at the moment i am using a clock to 555 timer to drive the electronics that drives the stepper motor ...i need to replace this clock signal via signals from the large drum the large drum has to be my clock
In manual you can run the small drum any speed and as long as your large drum is in sync you will see a picture .....number of pictures per second just depends on the speed ...also to slow a speed the image is narrow and small to fast the image is wide and large ...need to get the speed in the goldilocks zone just right so getting pulses via a hall effect sensor i need the right timing .....i had a lot of trouble last time i tried this using opto fork idea but the hall effect sensor seems for me to be easier .

I will show any results just have to track down the other hall effect sensors in my parts collection ...they are there some where !
Attachments
Picture 2290-cropmotorcontrol.jpg
Picture 2290-cropmotorcontrol.jpg (228.3 KiB) Viewed 9164 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:17 am

Harry, I think you'll need a capacitor (and possibly series resistor) between pin 3 and ground to "smooth" out the error signal to the base of the output transistor.
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:10 pm

gary wrote:Harry, I think you'll need a capacitor (and possibly series resistor) between pin 3 and ground to "smooth" out the error signal to the base of the output transistor.

Hi Gary

I will give that a go see what happens ...i was going to just tack on the circuit as in the club one with the mosfet driving the motor that half after the 4066 pll which i have soldered to this board a while ago ...so i still want to see if that works with this NPN power trany .

In any case happy with it and know what to look for now.

By the way the Stepper motor and Dc motor idea might very well work gary the reason mine was clogging was a soldering error bad ground vibration at speed caused the circuit to trip the stepper off...so i think syncing the stepper and braking the dc worth another try in time.
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:33 pm

harry dalek wrote: ...i was going to just tack on the circuit as in the club one with the mosfet driving the motor that half after the 4066 pll

That would do the trick I would think Harry.
gary

Return to Mechanical NBTV