Test Patterns

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby DrZarkov » Sun May 20, 2007 6:10 pm

@Gary: Did you add gif-anim support to your (great) Avi to NBTV software? It would really be a big advantage to create (motion) testcards with Photshop and convert them directly to NBTV.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby gary » Sun May 20, 2007 7:01 pm

DrZarkov wrote:@Gary: Did you add gif-anim support to your (great) Avi to NBTV software? It would really be a big advantage to create (motion) testcards with Photshop and convert them directly to NBTV.

Yes I have, but in testing it with your testcard gif I noticed that my image resizing algorithm was causing an artifact on the right hand side border. This is not noticeable on most video but on the testcard it was immediately obvious, so I am in the process of fixing this (I have to fix it in both Video2NBTV and The Big Picture!). I should release it tomorrow.
gary

Postby gary » Tue May 22, 2007 2:08 pm

My new implementation proved to be too slow for full screen display. I am spending today optimising the code to correct for this. I hope to release something tonight.
gary

Postby gary » Sat May 26, 2007 7:11 pm

A new version of Video2NBTV (v1.3 build 104) is available from:

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gmillard/nbtv.htm

This version supports bitmaps (.bmp and .gif) and animations (.gif).
I have also added a duration counter because the animations are looped and so go on forever. You can use the counter to stop the conversion at the duration required.

I am also working on NBTV - The Big Picture! because I noticed when testing the test card gif in this thread that the anti-aliasing filter (bilinear) appears to push the image across to the left so that the right side pixel becomes 2 pixels wide. This appears to be unavoidable when using the bilinear resizing algorithm. Are there any image rescaling experts out there that may know how this can be corrected or know of better fast rescaling algorithms?
gary

Postby DrZarkov » Sun May 27, 2007 5:08 am

Great work, Gary! Thank you very much!
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV