DIY Motors?

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

DIY Motors?

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu May 17, 2012 1:18 pm

I came across this site somehow and although I'm not the greatest environmentalist in the world I admire their determination.

What interested me was the possibility of using a similar device in reverse as a motor. Using a lesser quantity of poles to get 750 RPM and generally making it smaller would seem effort spent wisely. I presume that like a bicycle dynamo it wouldn't be self starting...but I'm willing to be proven wrong!

http://www.otherpower.com/pmg2.html

Given a source of suitable magnets and bearings it's something that even the mechanically challenged (me) might have a go at.

I see the following advantages. No brush sparking interference. Direct drive to the drum/disc. Built-in mass acting as a flywheel, but that could be a double-edged sword though.

There is a trade-off as ever. mechanically it's simpler but the drive electronics might be a bit more complex...a trade off I would make any day!! But I understand that's not for everyone.

I wasn't sure where to put this posting, but if it develops into a viable NBTV device I'll move it.

Anyway, your thoughts?

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: DIY Motors?

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu May 17, 2012 2:30 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:I came across this site somehow and although I'm not the greatest environmentalist in the world I admire their determination.

What interested me was the possibility of using a similar device in reverse as a motor. Using a lesser quantity of poles to get 750 RPM and generally making it smaller would seem effort spent wisely. I presume that like a bicycle dynamo it wouldn't be self starting...but I'm willing to be proven wrong!

http://www.otherpower.com/pmg2.html

Given a source of suitable magnets and bearings it's something that even the mechanically challenged (me) might have a go at.

I see the following advantages. No brush sparking interference. Direct drive to the drum/disc. Built-in mass acting as a flywheel, but that could be a double-edged sword though.

There is a trade-off as ever. mechanically it's simpler but the drive electronics might be a bit more complex...a trade off I would make any day!! But I understand that's not for everyone.

I wasn't sure where to put this posting, but if it develops into a viable NBTV device I'll move it.

Anyway, your thoughts?

Steve A.

I like this guy testing the thing using hes tongue as a volt meter now every one knows this only works for a 9 volt battery .. :lol:

It looks very nice theres lots on the net on this sort of thing and i have said it before not so much on motors but due to the trend of Miniaturization i think the nbtvers 2112 will have to make there own parts .
Motors perhaps who knows as well.
Reading the old magazines and such on the net some have to make there motors for the reason different to us where they are easy to get now then they were new and few about and price was high.
But today they are easier to find than the time to make ,i find it hard enough to mount something on one dead right on a ready make one i think if i tried to make one of these it may work but wobble .
Mechanically challenged i like that but i think i would rather your skills Steve one day we will see A Steve mechanical televisor or camera

:wink:
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Viewmaster » Thu May 17, 2012 5:41 pm

I see that he has a lathe to true up the wooden disks. Also, he only ran at 300RPM.
Although an NBTV motor would be smaller in dia., out of balance forces might be the biggest problem.

Few NBTV bulders have a lathe to get an accurate dia and at 750RPM the out of balance force would be that much greater.
Although the smaller dia would reduce it, the force is proportional to the dia BUT is the square of the speed.

Maybe put in small extra inserts to balance it, as is inserted in a car wheel rim for balance ?
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby gary » Thu May 17, 2012 6:24 pm

I have been following this stuff myself over the years for the same reason. About 2 years ago I built a "proof of concept" model which synced beautifully to the mains. It didn't have enough torque to drive a disk but as I said it was only a lash up "proof of concept" thing. I made a mental note to myself that if I ever found an economical source of neodymium magnets and copper wire I would have a crack at making a full fledged version.

The "over-unity" mad nutters have done quite a bit on this stuff (for all the wrong reasons) and are a good source of info (difficult to believe I know).

I thought this one looked good but alas the guy who was building it (The Daftman :-)) has disappeared without ever demonstrating it working but as it was built on the same principle as his other motors I don't see why it wouldn't - it would look very good on a televisor...

Some of these are, of course, built on different principles than your example, but all of them are synchronous and that is the attraction for NBTV.

Here is an example of a period DIY motor:
Attachments
page 1.jpg
page 1.jpg (197.11 KiB) Viewed 6224 times
page 2.jpg
page 2.jpg (142.58 KiB) Viewed 6224 times
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon May 27, 2013 6:19 pm

I came across a few of these Ball Bearing Motors being lazy this has to be the best lazy mans DIY motor !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0ktomInqp8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1PgR1hyXHs

Amazing it seems to have a nice speed wonder how they go on speed control !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrmTmG2buMg

Above is a how to make one
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Return to Off Topic