Another Sync Circuit

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Another Sync Circuit

Postby A_Kotlowy » Sun May 27, 2007 3:37 pm

Hi,

I didn't have much luck, unfortunately, with the provided sync separation circuit in the NBTV handbook so I've been experimenting with my own. I don't mean to imply the original doesn't work, I just didn't manage to get it going. Probably my own fault. I'll give it another go to see if I can get it going, my design isn't without flaw.

It takes a negative video input and provides a positive going pulse. I'm interested in your opinions of the circuit and how it may be improved, if at all.

I'm a student at TAFE in Adelaide. We haven't covered op-amps yet but that hasn't stopped me from going further :)

Thanks.

EDIT: File attached.
Attachments
sync.gif
sync.gif (2.64 KiB) Viewed 7125 times
Last edited by A_Kotlowy on Sun May 27, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A_Kotlowy

Schematic.

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun May 27, 2007 4:46 pm

Welcome,

Sadly your schematic didn't post here, even pasting the URL into a new window resulted in 'File not found'. It's better in most cases to actually upload the file as an attachment to your post. This means it's stored on the server and the vagaries of links aren't needed.

Andrew, your advice here?

Steve A.

[moderator: The file appears to have been successfully attached to the post, now.]
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

A difficult response.

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun May 27, 2007 8:34 pm

Sir,

Do you have a less formal name than A_Kotlowy? It's just I prefer to address people in a less formal manner. For that is the way I try to conduct my lectures.

'Lectures', yes, lectures. Part of my work involves teaching electronics to students here. But don't worry, I'm not going to lecture here, it's very informal.

However, to find someone who is studying electronics in a forum such as this is welcome. I'm semi-retired (or perhaps that should be semi-retarded?), but what knowledge and experience I have I am willing to pass on to those younger with a vigour and interest in the subject.

Now, a couple of observations on your circuit, please don't take this as critism but as critique. Firstly what is the device you have drawn as a generic op-amp (or comparator)? What are the supply voltages? What is the function of the 6k8 resistor on the output?

I am very willing to help those with an interest in electronics to get to grips with it. I have the time and am willing to help those who, like me, have had an interest in Electronics since childhood. It's a sub-set of Physics, ergo a sub-set of Mathematics. Chuck in a lump of Chemistry too.

The invitation is there for anyone interested.

Steve A.

P.S. I studied at what is now TAFE Frankston, Victoria. Then on to RMIT in Melbourne, if it's still called the same name.
Steve Anderson

Re: A difficult response.

Postby A_Kotlowy » Mon May 28, 2007 3:50 am

Steve Anderson wrote:Now, a couple of observations on your circuit, please don't take this as critism but as critique.

Not at all. I prefer bad news to good news because then I know what to fix.

Steve Anderson wrote:Firstly what is the device you have drawn as a generic op-amp (or comparator)? What are the supply voltages? What is the function of the 6k8 resistor on the output?

It's generic, I'm using an old LM358. Supply is +12v and 0v. I found the output resistor was required to prevent other devices from sinking current. It works better with a second buffer attached to the output. I wanted to keep it simple to get the general idea across.

Steve Anderson wrote:I am very willing to help those with an interest in electronics to get to grips with it. I have the time and am willing to help those who, like me, have had an interest in Electronics since childhood. It's a sub-set of Physics, ergo a sub-set of Mathematics. Chuck in a lump of Chemistry too.

The invitation is there for anyone interested.

Of course. My core interest is electronics and anything which stems from it (NBTV included). The history of electronics interests me too. I see the learning process as never ending.

Thanks,

Alexis Kotlowy
A_Kotlowy

Interests and motivation.

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon May 28, 2007 2:23 pm

My core interest is electronics and anything which stems from it. The history of electronics interests me too. I see the learning process as never ending.

Now, for the moment I'm going to omit any reference to the schematic and concentrate on the quotation above...

Good, excellent! What makes my day is when a student asks "But Sir, what if...", it shows interest and that they are thinking. About twenty years ago I had a persistant student who was always 'What iffing..', she now has her green card and works for Intel.

The learning process is never ending. Within the rather narrow field of Electronics I still learn something new every day, even with the rather heavy-duty qualifications I have.

As for the history of Electronics, boy, you've set yourself a task! It's fasinating, enthralling and fodder for the active mind.

Alexis, I wish you well,

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Return to Mechanical NBTV