Remember me

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Remember me

Postby gary » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:28 pm

Does any one know why the "remember me" feature of the login process to this site no longer seems to work? Or is it something local to me?

I realise this is probably implemented via a cookie, but I seem to have them enabled at present.

Edit: That should be the "Log me on automatically each visit" feature.
gary

Postby Dave Moll » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:31 am

It works fine for me.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

remember me

Postby grahamhunt » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:48 am

Mine is fine at the moment but I did have a problem a couple of months ago but cleared after two or three days
Graham
grahamhunt
Master Craftsman

Postby gary » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:26 am

Thanks guys, it must be a local problem then I suppose.

Could someone test whether they are "remembered" even if you log out from the previous session? - I note that if I don't logout (i.e. I just close the web page) I am "remembered" for a while but it eventually logs me out - I think this is just the normal login timeout for the site.
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:35 pm

gary wrote:....but it eventually logs me out....

I have noticed something similar when composing a posting, if you don't 'preview' for say 30 minutes, when you come to push the 'submit' button you're asked to log-in again. (I'm a slow typist!)

I guess there's a time-out for inactivity as far as the server is concerned.

I don't use the 'Remember Me' feature so I can't help there.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby holtzman » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:16 am

The newer versions of browsers have different safety settings, it may be not enough to just enable cookies. I had to additionally enable something like "third party cookies", since then it works.
holtzman
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby gary » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:22 am

Yes, alas I have checked all that, also it happens with all four of my browsers (firefox, ie, opera, and chrome) - I had come to the conclusion that it was my AV but I have anything to do with cookies turned off there also.

Anyway, I am about to try it from a different machine. It is made hard to test because of the timeout period for remaining logged in.

If someone could confirm that the automatic login still works if the prior session has been logged off, that would be a big help.
gary

Postby gary » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:18 am

Hmmm, this has been one of the most infuriatingly obscure problems I have ever come across, and I still have no solution.

I have ascertained that the required cookie has been sent and received but it still refuses to log me in. It is definitely a firefox problem as my other browsers work as expected.

I am totally out of ideas so any suggestions, no matter how weird, are welcome.
gary

Postby gary » Tue May 15, 2012 8:21 pm

It's taken my literally days and days of effort but I have finally discovered the cause of the problem.

There is a bug in firefox's Page Info/permissions page which requires the "use default" option to be checked for the auto-login cookie to work. Setting the "allow" cookies for the page does not work as expected. Sheesh, I want my money back.

Edit: Hmmmm, spoke too soon, after a little while the problem has returned...

Edit 2: Ok, it's working again... I am beginning to think it is a timing issue...
gary

Postby gary » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:51 pm

I have finally discovered the source of the problem.

Firefox's cookie database was corrupted causing an old (and expired) "remember me" cookie to be "stuck" in the database such that whilst it appeared to be deleted in any particular session of firefox, on restarting it would still be there. This caused 2 "remember me" cookies to be sent to the website, one valid and one expired. For some reason the website chooses the expired version to interrogate and promptly rejects it.

Of course the only solution to this problem is to remove the entire cookie database and so all my (hundreds of) valid cookies are now gone (shakes head).

Let this be a lesson to all budding programmers (and I have been a software developer for over nearly 40 years), NEVER use a binary database for simple storage applications, and think twice about it if it is a non-trivial storage application - especially if it is a third party implementation.
gary

remember me

Postby grahamhunt » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:21 am

I have lost the remember me on login for the last couple of days More importantly I seem to have changed my occupation have checked my profile and that appears to be correct If all else fails please send cheque for the salary increase for my new job
Graham Hunt :?: :roll:
grahamhunt
Master Craftsman

Re: remember me

Postby gary » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:10 am

grahamhunt wrote:I have lost the remember me on login for the last couple of days

If you are using firefox it is probably the same issue as I have described above.

grahamhunt wrote:More importantly I seem to have changed my occupation... If all else fails please send cheque for the salary increase for my new job
Graham Hunt

Can't help you with the salary increase Igor, I mean, Graham, but is there a strange hump appearing on your back?
gary

remember me

Postby grahamhunt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:02 am

I am using IE and seamonkey on linux both have fault
Graham Hunt
grahamhunt
Master Craftsman

Postby gary » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:24 am

Then it certainly isn't the same as my issue.

You could do as I did and use a packet sniffer as I did to monitor the login protocol, but it'll only tell you if your end looks ok as the server fails silently...
gary

Postby alvanorichie » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:27 pm

Firefox has add-on called Sxipper. It's like a dog because you can train it what to remember and what not to. It can save your passwords for all sites that you choose and e mails too.It is a good one be cause it learns specific forms, e-mails,history's,etc.The only thing you have to do is install it and teach it what you want to.
alvanorichie
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Return to Off Topic