Raspberry Pi

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby gary » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:47 pm

BASIC... grrrrrr ;-)
gary

Postby Viewmaster » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:04 pm

gary wrote:BASIC... grrrrrr ;-)

For some of us, over 30 years ago, it wasn't so grrrrrr.

For those not into CCCCC++++++ :-) as you maybe Gary,
BBC basic on a Raspberry could be a nice simple intro into boiling up the fruit !

BTW in a UK mag is now starting 3 articles on how to get the Raspberry going with its OS etc etc. The mag is Computer Active.......
.......probably too grrrrrr for you though :wink:
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby gary » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:11 pm

whoa whoa... I started with FORTRAN and graduated to BASIC (I should have stuck with FORTRAN)... needless to say I go back further than 30 years... (no smart remarks including Charles Babbage please...)

Nothing wrong with BASIC as a starter language but really...

EDIT: re OS it already comes with an *ix OS so...
gary

Postby Viewmaster » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:47 pm

gary wrote:whoa whoa... I started with FORTRAN and graduated to BASIC (I should have stuck with FORTRAN)... needless to say I go back further than 30 years... (no smart remarks including Charles Babbage please...)

Nothing wrong with BASIC as a starter language but really...

EDIT: re OS it already comes with an *ix OS so...

You can use others. Depends what you buy as a starter kit.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

'Raspbian' is recommended for starters. I guess one could load up various SD cards with other OS and just plug them in.

I am tempted to have a go, but what to use it for?........
.........maybe simulate the Babbage m/c :wink:
Albert.
Viewmaster

Postby gary » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:58 pm

Oh indeed - it is a computer, I merely meant having an OS is nothing new. The applications of this unit for NBTV is endless I believe, but its low power footprint makes it a great candidate for network streaming in general - I for one - having moved to a rural area and thus being subject to the dreaded "self interference" phenomenon of AM at night (keeping in mind that FM has yet to discover the concept of intelligent programming) - see it as a means of low cost AM radio streaming.
gary

Postby dominicbeesley » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:19 pm

As DrZarkov pointed out you can even run Risc OS on it to get a proper set of BBC Micro tools without having to learn the fiddly Linux stuff.

I tried it and while it's not perfect it does work well enough.
dominicbeesley
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Viewmaster » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:37 pm

dominicbeesley wrote:As DrZarkov pointed out you can even run Risc OS on it to get a proper set of BBC Micro tools without having to learn the fiddly Linux stuff.

I tried it and while it's not perfect it does work well enough.

So, Dominic, you have actually run BBC basic on it, but I wonder what, "well enough" means?

Are any keywords missing, such as PROC, DEF, CALL, others, or is it flaky,crashes........
.....can one have a flaky raspberry? :lol:
Albert.
Viewmaster

Postby dominicbeesley » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:17 am

It runs a copy of Risc OS which is the operating system for the Acorn Archimedes/Risc PC these were the successor machines to the BBC micro.

The BBC Basic therefore is perfect. There are a few problems with the operating system itself though they appear to be minor glitches as I had not problems with it crashing but there were some limitation such as it would only work in one screen resolution and it would not always start in the correct resolution.

The build I'd used was an alpha from a while back I understand there is to be an official release soon which should iron out most of these bugs. There are already better versions available though unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an obvious way of tracking them down!

D
dominicbeesley
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Viewmaster » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:25 am

Thanks for all that Dominic.

I see that Maplin are doing a complete package including Raspberry model B/mouse/keyboard/4Gb SD card with an OS already installed/all cables/4 port USB hub/power supply/WiFi dongle.

All in for £69 post free which seems about the price for each item bought seperately on eBay etc.

Now with Xmas getting near I might tell the wife that I would like raspberries instead of a £69 Xmas pud :lol:
Albert.
Viewmaster

Postby johnrpm » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:18 am

I can recommend puppy linux, barry, (the developer) is working on a version for the Pi
Random Precision
johnrpm
Mad Scientist

Postby DrZarkov » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:00 pm

The most popular Linux for the Raspberry Pi ist currently "Raspbian". It is a very fast and good working Debian for the RPi.

BBC Basic is one of the best Basic dialects ever made. On RISC OS it is really impressive how fast it works, even for an interpreter language. BBC Basic allows structual programming, nothing like the "Spaghetti-code" known from Commodore or Sinclair. BBC Basic is old, but not old fashioned.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby gary » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:57 pm

I have just realised I left that pesky p out of raspberry in the thread title - dear me and I can't edit it...
gary

Postby Viewmaster » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:51 pm

gary wrote:I have just realised I left that pesky p out of raspberry in the thread title - dear me and I can't edit it...

I'm puzzled by this, in that I have just deliberately edited the thread title heading in one of my own older threads and back again and it showed the alterations OK.

Anyway, hands up all those who noticed Gary's misssing p ?........
......a free punnet of raspberries for those who did. :wink:
Albert.
Viewmaster

Postby gary » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:57 pm

How did you edit it Albert? Two punnets for the tip...
gary

Postby Viewmaster » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:44 am

gary wrote:How did you edit it Albert? Two punnets for the tip...

It was just a BASIC ( :wink: ) alteration to the title in the very first letter of my thread. After going into the edit mode one can change the title as well as the actual letter.

So Gary, I guess that you are probably trying to edit in your later letters of your thread.
Try editing the very first of your letters.

It's a pity though, if you correct it now, as I was getting to
like Rasberry pie. No Pips in it. :lol:
Albert.
Viewmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanical NBTV