Raspberry Pi

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby gary » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:52 am

It was just a BASIC

Must be why it's so obfuscated... ;-)

Ah yes, by editing the first post of the thread you can edit the thread title, I had never noticed that (never having to do it before). Cheers, as soon as I think up two *small* plays on words I'll send them to you ;-) Oh hang on - there's one already - enjoy ;-)
gary

Postby Viewmaster » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:28 pm

Now the next thing to be done Gary, is to shift this Rasberry thread
(sorry, Raspberry!) from 'NBTV' to 'OFF TOPIC' as so far, no one has linked Raspberry directly to NBTV.

I belive that only the Moderators can move a thread. Aren't they quiet these days BTW? Bless their little cotton socks. :)
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby gary » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:34 pm

Well I actually started the thread with the idea that the pi would be a very useful thing for NBTV - it wasn't put here by accident - although it did get off topic quite a bit.

My initial thoughts were that it would be ideal for streaming NBTV material to a televisor - but it could also store and replay NBTV material as well - easier to use than a pic - cheaper and more power efficient than a PC, etc etc
gary

Postby Viewmaster » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:12 pm

A few years ago at a Loughboro' conference there was a 48 x 32 LED NBTV. The switching was done by a large rotor. I recall that it wasn't working as the switch contacts were intermittent.

On utube is a 8 x 8 x 8 LED light box with running display all controlled from a Raspberrypi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6P3jcxKh-k

With 3 times the work a Raspberry could be loaded with NBTV video and with a suitable program, drive those NBTV LED's similar to this light cube.
Albert.
Viewmaster

Postby gary » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:21 pm

I wonder if anyone has had the chance to test the audio output of the PI for quality?

Although even if it is unsuitable, as the thing is able to stream video it ought to be able to handle NBTV audio through it's USB port.
gary

Postby Dave Moll » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:04 am

If the general feeling is that the thread would be better moved, I will happily oblige. I don't have a strong feeling about its location myself.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby DrZarkov » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:14 pm

A good addition for NBTV purposes seems to be the "Gertboard": http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/411
Of course it would be an overkill to use this combination as speedcontrol for a Nipkowdisk (even if this should be possible), but with the right software the Raspberry Pi could become a cheap replacement for the quite expensive Aurora converters, with the addition of NBTV colour through the Gertboard.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Viewmaster » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:44 pm

Yes I too have been looking at Gerty. It's £25 and the write up and videos are here........
http://www.element14.com/community/docs ... tlearnmore

It has built in DAC and ADC for external use..

edit...........it is a kit only.
Albert.
Viewmaster

Postby DrZarkov » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:34 am

Viewmaster wrote:edit...........it is a kit only.

As long as you know on which side the soldering iron becomes hot, I don't see a problem with that... :lol:
DrZarkov

Postby Viewmaster » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:48 am

DrZarkov wrote:
Viewmaster wrote:edit...........it is a kit only.

As long as you know on which side the soldering iron becomes hot, I don't see a problem with that... :lol:

...........As long as your eyes can see the C's and R's, and your soldering iron can do Surface Mount Technology without any wobble. :shock:

Anyway, the Raspberrypi has many GP input/output pins in addition to audio, so maybe a Gerty kit is not required for any NBTV project.
Albert.
Viewmaster

Postby DrZarkov » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:14 am

I don't see any SMD parts on the Gerdboard. It seems pretty simple. There is even a Youtube solder tutorial. And I'm sure there enough club-members here who will do the soldering, if necessary. :wink:
DrZarkov

Postby Viewmaster » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:20 pm

DrZarkov wrote:I don't see any SMD parts on the Gerdboard.:

See Video 4 for example, "Surface Mount soldering tips on the Gertboard" on the Gertboard site here........
http://www.element14.com/community/docs ... tlearnmore
Albert.
Viewmaster

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:48 pm

It seems that in response to user feedback they've made a number of hardware changes...

...this refers...

http://blog.makezine.com/2012/08/08/ras ... aspberryPi

Someone would appear to be listening for once...

Steve A.
Attachments
gertboard.jpg
gertboard.jpg (114.75 KiB) Viewed 14384 times
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby DrZarkov » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:49 pm

But only resistors etc. Solder some tin on the contacts. Hold the resistor with tweezers in position. Then just heat up the tin and let the resistor sink into the tin. Really easy, no special solder iron needed for that. The only trouble is that it is smaller than usual. Unfortunally it is hard to avoid these days to use at least some SMD parts. I've done some kits in this degree of difficulty before, and I'm surely no "master in electronics" or precision engineering. In making a Nipkow Nipper you have much smaller parts and need much better eyes I guess. :wink:
DrZarkov

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:23 pm

I will admit that I haven't looked into this in any great depth, but it would appear a step in the right direction if you're considering marketing a kit for home construction...it does need to be 'home-friendly'...the use of anything SMD will surely halve your market. If it doesn't have 0.1" spacing...DON'T USE IT!!

Would it bother most users that this PCB was twice the area it is currently? I doubt it.

Most (but not all) devices are available in a variety of flavours including DIP or good old-fashioned TO92....there is no excuse to me...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanical NBTV