New NBTV camera project

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby gary » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:07 pm

Troy, here is what I have been able to decode - please excuse the theatrics ;-)

(speed is a little flakey at the start but improves somewhat during the video).
Attachments
beast.avi
(14.73 MiB) Downloaded 617 times
gary

Postby gary » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:30 pm

Just as a further benchmark here is a self-portrait clip from Graham's camera.
Attachments
dsc_graham1.ps7.avi
(205.5 KiB) Downloaded 605 times
gary

Pictures of Disc camera

Postby AncientBrit » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:42 pm

Here are some pictures of my Disc camera constructed back in 1999.

Cheers,

Graham
Attachments
Disc Camera 1999 Vol25_4.zip
(1.28 MiB) Downloaded 750 times
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby gary » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:55 pm

Very nice Graham - thanks.

Troy, note the single hole sync - enough for perfect decoding.
gary

Postby AncientBrit » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:39 pm

'enough for perfect decoding' but at the expense of a PLL,

Cheers,

Graham
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby gary » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:43 pm

AncientBrit wrote:'enough for perfect decoding' but at the expense of a PLL,

Cheers,

Graham

Oh sorry Graham - that was an "in" comment - regarding making it reproducible on a PC - only a software PLL needed ;-)

It was in reference to having sound card recordings having a sync pulse on the right channel.
gary

Postby aussie_bloke » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:47 pm

Thank you so much for successfully making a recognizable picture of my hand waving and love the opening theatrics :lol: !:D Those vertical lines are actually noise, I am actually seeing that kind of vertical line noise on the monitor intermittently, obviously the head amp isn't shielded so there you go :lol: . Anyhow am real happy to see my hand with some gradation of shades, obviously my camera needs a lot of refinements but am happy with the results so far!:D

Anyhow this morning I decided to do an outdoor filming test pointing the camera to the front yard from the window and the dome sensor works good to outdoor light and I can see a crude picture of the front yard though not really recognizable due to the crudeness but when my brother walked past the front veranda his shadow came up recognizable. I also walked out the front yard with a mirror and reflected the sun directly into the camera lens and when playing back the telerecording it of course came up as a big blotch of light which was interesting :) . I have done a couple of telerecordings which I'll upload snippets in the next post.

In the meantime here's a composition video grab I made from the telerecording of Che Guevara's face on the Seize Power energy drink, I took a few grabs and superimposed them over each other in a certain way which they pieced together nicely to form a full picture.
Attachments
candisplay.jpg
candisplay.jpg (91.46 KiB) Viewed 11972 times
aussie_bloke
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:54 pm

Wonderful work every one .\\Thanks for posting Graham i found seeing you and your camera and circuits very interesting way better than i could ever do .
Very funny titles gary great work with troys wav files ...
And very good work to troy !!!!
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:59 pm

Initially I thought the vertical lines were mains hum so I did a mains hum filter on it but it didn't make much difference - I should look at it again.
gary

Postby gary » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Troy I noticed in the original clips that the can came up quite well - a silhouette of a silhouette...
gary

Postby aussie_bloke » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:45 am

G'day all. It has been a while since I've updated you all on my NBTV camera/monitor project.

I have since disassembled the unit and have started on the job of refining the camera to make it a properly working camera. So far I have started with the condenser lens system and dome sensor and head amp. I have fixed the condenser lenses in position and have mounted the head amp inside a metal can to minimize interference, and have placed a BNC socket for a shielded video lead to connect to between head amp and LED driver, and a power socket for the power jack. I also have a new spindle and LP record disc (which I'm yet to drill), the spindle is a head drum from a dead VHS VCR which spins nice and freely, I am going to pulley/belt drive it with a DC motor. I'm going to incorporate a synchronized motor speed system which Harry is kindly helping me with with tech info, I will be starting on that after disc is drilled and mounted on its fixture. Here below are pics of the unit all neatened up with this new setup and new disc and spindle, interesting to see the dome sensor heaps magnified from the front of the condenser lenses.

I will be going down to Tasmania on 5th December for a 2 week holiday so won't really be doing much more with the camera before then due to having to save money but will get back onto it once I get back.

In the meantime I have uploaded a 37 part video series on the construction and operation of my NBTV camera/monitor to my YouTube channel, too many videos to list links individually but here is the link to my channel showing just those videos on the search:
http://www.youtube.com/user/troysvisual ... monitor%22

I am yet to upload the telerecordings off the camera's monitor I made with my trusty super sensitive Panasonic NV-RX3 CCD camcorder but will try and have them uploaded before I go to Tassie and will post links her.
Attachments
headamp.jpg
headamp.jpg (85.83 KiB) Viewed 11888 times
headamp1.jpg
headamp1.jpg (83.7 KiB) Viewed 11888 times
headamp2.jpg
headamp2.jpg (47.56 KiB) Viewed 11888 times
headamp3.jpg
headamp3.jpg (53.4 KiB) Viewed 11888 times
headamp4.jpg
headamp4.jpg (73.06 KiB) Viewed 11888 times
lensheadamp1.jpg
lensheadamp1.jpg (70.86 KiB) Viewed 11888 times
lensheadamp2.jpg
lensheadamp2.jpg (80.31 KiB) Viewed 11888 times
lensheadamp3.jpg
lensheadamp3.jpg (85.61 KiB) Viewed 11888 times
newdisc.jpg
newdisc.jpg (47.35 KiB) Viewed 11888 times
headspindle.jpg
headspindle.jpg (37.41 KiB) Viewed 11888 times
aussie_bloke

Postby aussie_bloke » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:56 pm

All my telerecordings of my NBTV camera/monitor are now uploaded to my channel, total of 8 videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/troysvisual ... ordings%22

I have added pictures to the left side to show what was in front of the camera lens to make the pictures a little more intelligible when comparing from screen to photo. Here's a rundown on what's on each video:
Part 1: 150W lamp with patterned glass in front of lens (infrared phototransistor pickup)
Part 2: Assorted objects on spinning platform (dome sensor pickup)
Part 3: Assorted objects in front of lens (dome sensor pickup)
Part 4: Assorted objects in front of lens (dome sensor pickup)
Part 5: Assorted objects in front of lens (dome sensor pickup)
Part 6: Camera pointed outside my bedroom window filming front yard (dome sensor pickup)
Part 7: Camera pointed outside my bedroom window, I reflect the sunlight to the camera's lens from outside with a mirror which comes up as a big blob of light (dome sensor pickup)
Part 8: Infrared torch in front of lens (infrared phototransistor pickup)
aussie_bloke

Postby aussie_bloke » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:31 am

G'day all.

I know it's been a while since I last picked up where I left off on my NBTV camera project, December has been a good festive season, my 2 week holiday in Tasmania, parties and Christmas and new years so my attention was elsewhere :lol: . Anyhow the project has been shelved but not abandoned, am now just waiting for that print shop in Wollongong to open again on 7th January so I can get another template printed (to proper dimensions this time) so I drill another record and carry on with construction.

In the meantime I've started another camera project, not NBTV but electronic and a very special one too, I will be building an iconoscope TV camera using my 1940s RCA 1846 iconoscope tube http://troysvintagevideo.0catch.com/1846iconoscope.html . I am going to soon get in touch with a Japanese technician who successfully built a solid state iconoscope camera http://youtu.be/Bs5l39WsnKo for the schematic diagrams and yoke data. so far I've found a suitable enclosure to house the camera which is an ex IBM 486 computer tower case, here's a mockup of how the tube and lens will roughly be positioned inside the tower case:
Attachments
iconoscope.jpg
iconoscope.jpg (75.9 KiB) Viewed 11782 times
aussie_bloke

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:03 pm

Hi Troy,

That certainly is an ambitious project and I wish you the best of luck with it. I will be watching this closely.

Can I suggest you start a new thread in the 'Off Topic' section for this when you get going. As you point out it's not NBTV but it is most definitely 'of technical interest'. It also might reduce confusion between the two projects.

When (if?) you receive that data from Japan perhaps you could post it in the new thread? (Assuming there's no copyright issues). I sure would be interested.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby aussie_bloke » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:27 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Hi Troy,

That certainly is an ambitious project and I wish you the best of luck with it. I will be watching this closely.

Can I suggest you start a new thread in the 'Off Topic' section for this when you get going. As you point out it's not NBTV but it is most definitely 'of technical interest'. It also might reduce confusion between the two projects.

When (if?) you receive that data from Japan perhaps you could post it in the new thread? (Assuming there's no copyright issues). I sure would be interested.

Steve A.

Hi Steve. That project most certainly will be posted in the Off Topic section, I only posted the one picture here just to show what I'm onto next without intention of this project being part of this thread as I know in other threads people go a little off topic then back on topic again.

Anyhow when I've done a significant amount of work on this project I will start posting the thread in the off topic section along with the data if it's allowed.

Anyways once I get back onto this NBTV camera which should hopefully be by next week I will post the further developments.
aussie_bloke

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanical NBTV